Hospital Design and Development Support
At Johns Hopkins, we believe that thoughtful hospital planning, strategic architectural design and a patient-focused hospital environment can improve patient healing.
Our hospital design and development consulting team helps organizations accomplish anything from minimizing patient room noise to designing health care facilities that improve collaboration among caregivers. We strengthen and enhance the services provided by local hospital operators or project management teams in all phases leading up to the opening of new health care facilities.
Johns Hopkins experts can even ensure the right match of services and market demand. When our team is included in the pre-design phase, we can help tailor services and staffing planning, streamline integration across departments, and — ultimately — avoid costly physical redesigns down the road. Our aim is to serve as a trusted adviser and sounding board to ensure the hospital design is following the right trajectory.
Our experts can provide a range of capabilities, including:
- Design the scope of work for a feasibility study.
- Review and provide feedback on an existing feasibility study.
- Provide insights on clinical service lines and clinical models, based on what Johns Hopkins sees as the future of medicine.
- Provide guidance on the selection of a governance and operating model.
- Facilitate alignment among diverse stakeholders to ensure the hospital design is moving toward a shared vision.
- Review health care facility drawings and plans, and provide comprehensive feedback.
From hospital design planning to execution, our team of experts consults alongside our clients. Our experience includes large and small acute hospital developments — both greenfield and on existing or complex city sites. We draw from our decades of experience in health care facility operations and processes.
Phase 1: Hospital Pre-Design
- Hospital business plan review
- Operating and governance model design
- Strategy and vision alignment
Phase 2: Hospital Design and Operations Planning
- Health care facilities design review
- Administrative and operations planning
- Clinical model and plan development
Phase 3: Hospital Construction, Commissioning and Pre-Operations Preparation
- Commissioning and close out support
- Clinical operations
- Operational planning excellence and administrative services
- Pre-opening preparation
- Marketing plan and strategy consultation
Phase 4: Hospital Operationalization and Steady State
- Quality, patient safety and international accreditation
- Clinical program development
- Nursing development
- General knowledge transfer services
Our solutions are tailored to the needs, timelines and objectives of the client organization.
Flora Kisuule, M.D.
Flora Kisuule is an assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her research interests and expertise are in quality improvement and practice management.
Sally McConnell, B.A., M.B.A.
Sally McConnell is the vice president of facilities at Johns Hopkins, and is responsible for planning, design, construction, maintenance and clinical engineering. She oversees the operation of central power plants and utility purchases as well as major capital projects.
James Scheulen, P.A., M.B.A.
James Scheulen is responsible for the operations of five Johns Hopkins Health System emergency departments. He is an expert in hospital and emergency department operations, and is a leader in applying system engineering concepts to health care management.
Find the Right Solutions for Your Organization
Let Johns Hopkins Medicine’s team of clinical and professional experts guide you to the right health care solutions for your organization.