I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Adult Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
Our group is interested in a broad array of clinical and translational investigations spanning the evaluation of basic pathophysiology in patients undergoing cardiac procedures, development and evaluation of new therapeutic strategies, and improving patient selection and outcomes following interventional procedures. We are comprised of a core group of faculty and dedicated research nurses as well as fellows, residents, and students. Projects range from investigator-initiated single-center observational studies to industry-sponsored multicenter phase 3 randomized controlled trials. We have established a database of all patients who have undergone TAVR at Johns Hopkins, which is providing the basis for several retrospective analyses and will serve as the foundation for future studies of TAVR. We are also engaged in collaborative projects with other groups from the Department of Medicine and other Departments including Cardiac Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Psychiatry, and Biomedical Engineering. Members of our group are actively involved with the Johns Hopkins Center for Bioengineering Innovation and Design (CBID) in the development of novel minimally-invasive cardiovascular devices.
Stem cell therapy for myocardial regeneration.
Optical coherence tomography (OCT) in women presenting with acute ischemic syndrome without significant coronary artery disease.
Applications of coronary CT angiography.
Modelling of bioprosthetic leaflet thrombosis.
Analysis of complete versus incomplete coronary revascularization in the C-PORT trials.
Frailty, delirium, and inflammation in patients undergoing TAVR.
Von Willebrand factor-associated hemostasis in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve procedures.
Pivotal clinical studies of TAVR with the Medtronic Evolut R device in patients at intermediate and low surgical risk.
Randomized trail evaluating the impact of fentanyl on the efficacy of ticagrelor in patients undergoing PCI.
Pivotal clinical studies of transcatheter mitral valve replacement (TMVR) with the Medtronic Intrepid device.
- Jeffrey Brinker, MD
- David Thiemann, MD
- Julie Miller, MD
- Jeffrey Trost, MD
- Stephen Williams, MD MPH
- Matthews Chacko, MD
- Peter Johnston, MD
- Chao-Wei Hwang, MD PhD
- Rani Hasan, MD MHS
- Influence of radial versus femoral access site on coronary angiography and intervention outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Brener MI, Bush A, Miller JM, Hasan RK. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 May 25. PMID: 28544320
- Usefulness of a Noninvasive Device to Identify Elevated Left Ventricular Filling Pressure Using Finger Photoplethysmography During a Valsalva Maneuver.Galiatsatos P, Win TT, Monti J, Johnston PV, Herzog W, Trost JC, Hwang CW, Fridman GY, Wang NY, Silber HA. Am J Cardiol. 2017 Apr 1;119(7):1053-1060. PMID: 28185634
- Heparin versus bivalirudin for non-primary percutaneous coronary intervention: A post-Hoc analysis of the CPORT-E trial. Czarny MJ, Hwang CW, Naiman DQ, Lemmon CC, Hasan RK, Wang T, Aversano T. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Feb 4. PMID: 28160375
- Outcomes in the Randomized CoreValve US Pivotal High Risk Trial in Patients With a Society of Thoracic Surgeons Risk Score of 7% or Less. Reardon MJ, Kleiman NS, Adams DH, Yakubov SJ, Coselli JS, Deeb GM, O'Hair D, Gleason TG, Lee JS, Hermiller JB Jr, Chetcuti S, Heiser J, Merhi W, Zorn GL 3rd, Tadros P, Robinson N, Petrossian G, Hughes GC, Harrison JK, Maini B, Mumtaz M, Conte JV, Resar JR, Aharonian V, Pfeffer T, Oh JK, Huang J, Popma JJ. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Nov 1;1(8):945-949. PMID: 27541162
- Transcatheter or Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in Patients With Prior Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Conte JV, Gleason TG, Resar JR, Adams DH, Deeb GM, Popma JJ, Hughes GC, Zorn GL, Reardon MJ. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jan;101(1):72-9; discussion 79. PMID: 26433523
- Patients without ST elevation after return of spontaneous circulation may benefit from emergent percutaneous intervention: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Millin MG, Comer AC, Nable JV, Johnston PV, Lawner BJ, Woltman N, Levy MJ, Seaman KG, Hirshon JM. Resuscitation. 2016 Nov;108:54-60. PMID: 27640933
- 2-Year Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Surgical or Self-Expanding Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Reardon MJ, Adams DH, Kleiman NS, Yakubov SJ, Coselli JS, Deeb GM, Gleason TG, Lee JS, Hermiller JB Jr, Chetcuti S, Heiser J, Merhi W, Zorn GL 3rd, Tadros P, Robinson N, Petrossian G, Hughes GC, Harrison JK, Maini B, Mumtaz M, Conte JV, Resar JR, Aharonian V, Pfeffer T, Oh JK, Qiao H, Popma JJ. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Jul 14;66(2):113-2 PMID: 26055947
- Stem cell impregnated nanofiber stent sleeve for on-stent production and intravascular delivery of paracrine factors. Hwang CW, Johnston PV, Gerstenblith G, Weiss RG, Tomaselli GF, Bogdan VE, Panigrahi A, Leszczynska A, Xia Z. Biomaterials. 2015 Jun;52:318-26. PMID: 25818438
- Does transendocardial injection of mesenchymal stem cells improve myocardial function locally or globally?: An analysis from the Percutaneous Stem Cell Injection Delivery Effects on Neomyogenesis (POSEIDON) randomized trial. Suncion VY, Ghersin E, Fishman JE, Zambrano JP, Karantalis V, Mandel N, Nelson KH, Gerstenblith G, DiFede Velazquez DL, Breton E, Sitammagari K, Schulman IH, Taldone SN, Williams AR, Sanina C, Johnston PV, Brinker J, Altman P, Mushtaq M, Trachtenberg B, Mendizabal AM, Tracy M, Da Silva J, McNiece IK, Lardo AC, George RT, Hare JM, Heldman AW Circ Res. 2014 Apr 11;114(8):1292-301. PMID: 24449819
- Intracoronary cardiosphere-derived cells after myocardial infarction: evidence of therapeutic regeneration in the final 1-year results of the CADUCEUS trial (CArdiosphere-Derived aUtologous stem CElls to reverse ventricUlar dySfunction). Malliaras K, Makkar RR, Smith RR, Cheng K, Wu E, Bonow RO, Marbán L, Mendizabal A, Cingolani E, Johnston PV, Gerstenblith G, Schuleri KH, Lardo AC, Marbán E. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014. PMID: 24036024