Surgical Lead and Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute
Cardiac Surgeon-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Health System
Cardiac surgery, mitral valve repair, tricuspid valve surgery, minimally invasive mitral valve surgery, beating-heart image-guided mitral valve repair, catheter-based mitral and tricuspid valve repair and replacement, surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation
Mitral valve repair, transcatheter interventions for structural heart disease, cardiovascular device development, outcomes research structural heart disease
Request An Appointment
James S. Gammie, M.D., is a cardiac surgeon in Baltimore, Maryland. He also serves as co-director and surgical director of the Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute.
Dr. Gammie came to Johns Hopkins after becoming the chief of cardiac surgery at University of Maryland Medical Center. He completed his general surgery residency and clinical fellowship at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Gammie is a member of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, an organization that focuses on increasing techniques for minimally invasive cardiac surgery and improving patient outcomes across the world. Dr. Gammie has recevied recognition from Baltimore Magazine as the "Best Top Doctor" for four consecutive years. His research focuses on improving the surgical treatment of mitral valve disease and other heart structure diseases.
- MD; University of Massachusetts Medical School (1990)
- AB; Brown University (1986)
- General Surgery; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (1995)
- Research; Divisions of Cellular Therapeutics and Cardiothoracic Surgery (1996)
- Clinical; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (1999)
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery (2000)
- American Board of Surgery (1996)
Research & Publications
Salenger R, Etchill EW, Ad N, Matthew T, Alejo D, Whitman G, Lawton JS, Lau CL, Gammie CF, Gammie JS. The Surge after the Surge: Cardiac Surgery post- COVID-19. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020 May 3:S0003-4975(20)30693-7.
Lala A, Chang HL, Liu X, Charles EJ, Yerokun BA, Bowdish ME, Thourani VH, Mack MJ, Miller MA, O'Gara PT, Blackstone EH, Moskowitz AJ, Gelijns AC, Mullen JC, Stevenson LW; Cardiothoracic Surgical Trials Network (CTSN) Working Group. Risk for non-home discharge following surgery for ischemic mitral valve disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020 Mar 4:S0022-5223(20)30524-9.
Pasrija C, Bernstein DA, Rice M, Tran D, Morales D, Grintz T, Deatrick KB, Gammie JS, Madathil R, Kaczorowski DJ. Sutureless Closure of Arterial Cannulation Sites. Innovations (Phila). 2020 Mar/Apr;15(2):138-141.
Makkar RR, Thourani VH, Mack MJ, Kodali SK, Kapadia S, Webb JG, Yoon SH, Trento A, Svensson LG, Herrmann HC, Szeto WY, Miller DC, Satler L, Cohen DJ, Dewey TM, Babaliaros V, Williams MR, Kereiakes DJ, Zajarias A, Greason KL, Whisenant BK, Hodson RW, Brown DL, Fearon WF, Russo MJ, Pibarot P, Hahn RT, Jaber WA, Rogers E, Xu K, Wheeler J, Alu MC, Smith CR, Leon MB; PARTNER 2 Investigators. Five-Year Outcomes of Transcatheter or Surgical Aortic-Valve Replacement. N Engl J Med. 2020 Jan 29;382(9):799-809.
Li M, Mazzeffi MA, Gammie JS, Banoub M, Pazhani Y, Herr D, Madathil R, Pousatis S, Bathula A. Characterization of Postoperative Infection Risk in Cardiac Surgery Patients With Delayed Sternal Closure. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2020 May;34(5):1238-1243. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2020.01.010. Epub 2020 Jan 13.View Dr. Gammie's Research on PubMed
Activities & Honors
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2019
- Golden Apple Teacher of the Year Award, 2018
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2018
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2017
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2016
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2014
- Entrepreneur of the Year, University of Maryland Baltimore, 2014
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2013
- Baltimore Magazine Best Doctor Recognition, 2012
- BioMaryland LIFE Prize, 2011
- Nathan H. Carliner MD Scholar Award, Cardiovascular Disease, 2010
- J. Maxwell Chamberlain Memorial Award, Adult Cardiac Surgery, 2010
- AATS Academy
- Hewlett Packard Stethoscope Award, 1990
- The American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Southern Thoracic Surgery Association (Member)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (Member)
- The American College of Cardiology (Fellow)
- The Northeast Cardiothoracic Surgical Society (Member)
- The International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (Member)
- American Association of Thoracic Surgery (Member)
- 21st Century Cardiothoracic Surgical Society (Member)
- The Bartley P. Griffith Surgical Society (Founder)
- The Halsted Society (Member)