The Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute provides advanced interventional procedures for heart and valve conditions.
Full List of Interventional Services
Our team provides care for coronary artery disease including:
- Diagnosis: We will perform an angiography and intravascular ultrasound to diagnose coronary artery disease. We may recommend additional imaging to confirm the diagnosis.
- Treatment: Treatment for this condition includes coronary artery bypass and graft blockages using balloon angioplasty, intracoronary stenting, laser ablation, rotational atherectomy, directional atherectomy, extractional atherectomy, brachytherapy, bare metal and drug eluting stents.
- Evaluation: We provide a thorough examination of endothelial function and coronary blood flow.
- Approach: We take novel approached to ischemic heart disease including intracoronary gene therapy for angiogenesis.
We provide care for valvular heart disease including:
- Diagnosis: Our team will diagnose valvular stenosis and regurgitation.
- Treatment: We perform percutaneous procedures (non-invasive needle-punctures through the skin) to treat mitral valvuloplasty for mitral stenosis, pulmonary valvuloplasty for pulmonic stenosis and aortic stenosis.
Our clinic provides treatment for cardiomyopathy and heart transplants by providing the following services:
- Diagnosis: Our specialists will diagnose and evaluate constructive pericarditis, cardiomyopathic conditions with hemodynamic assessment and endomyocardial biopsy.
- Treatment: We will drain pericardial effusions, which are a buildup of fluid in the pericardium.
- Evaluation: We may perform a hemodynamic and metabolic assessment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy using transvenous pacing protocols, percutaneous and alcohol septal myocardial ablation.
We provide treatment for both adult and pediatric congenital heart disease by providing the following services:
- Diagnosis: Our team provides a diagnosis for congenital heart abnormalities.
- Treatment: We treat patent ductus arteriosus and aortic coarctation and perform percutaneous closure of atrial septal defects and percutaneous pulmonary valvuloplasty for pulmonic stenosis. We offer stenting for pulmonary artery stenosis.
- Evaluation: Evaluation and treatment for cryptogenic cerebral vascular events including percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale (PFO).
Transcatheter Interventions for Structural Heart Disease
Our team specializes in minimally-invasive procedures of the following:
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a procedure that replaces the diseased heart valve with natural tissue.
Mitral Valve Repair Using MitraClip
To repair damaged mitral valves, we perform a MitraClip procedure, which involves attaching a clip to two leaflets of the heart valve, helping it open and close normally.
Revolutionary ProceduresTAVR at Johns Hopkins
"It’s been clearly established now that TAVR is equivalent or superior to surgical aortic valve replacement basically in all patients...This is possibly one of the single most impactful procedures in cardiology and cardiac surgery in the last three decades."
Learn why the TAVR procedure is becoming a popular option for patients facing congestive heart failure.