Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
New Directions - President’s Message
Date: November 1, 2013
This month, Suburban Hospital celebrates its 70th birthday. We opened our doors on December 13, 1943, as a 130-bed hospital comprising several one-story cottages. Our goal was to accommodate the medical needs of an expanding World War II military population that was congregating in the Washington, DC region.
Today we are Montgomery County’s designated trauma center and serve more than one million people. We are proud to be part of one of the most respected health-care organizations in the world—Johns Hopkins Medicine—and to have strong research affiliations with the National Institutes of Health. And we have worked hard to establish centers of excellence in orthopedics and joint replacement surgery, stroke and neurosurgery, cancer care, cardiothoracic surgery and cardiac care, behavioral health and addiction treatment, and more!
Looking to the future, we eagerly anticipate the benefits that our campus enhancement project will bring. The science of medicine continues to advance, and the physical infrastructure of health-care facilities must keep pace. As we go to press with this newsletter, we are pleased to report a favorable September decision from the Maryland Court of Special Appeals affirming the approval of our expansion by the Board of Appeals. We remain confident that our patients will have access to the 21st-century facility they deserve as health care transforms in and around Suburban Hospital.
Please accept my best wishes for good health and happiness in the New Year.
Gene E. Green, M.D.
Articles in this Issue
Inside this Issue
- Year-End Giving
- JHCP Heart Care Expands Services
- $1M Clark Gift for Campus Enhancement
- President’s Message
- A Lifetime of Care: Suburban Hospital Celebrates 70th Anniversary
- Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery at Suburban Hospital
- Key To The Cure Supports Women’s Cancer Programs
- It Takes a Village to Save a Life
- Commitment to Excellence Honoree Helps Hospital Look Forward
- How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
- When Physician Collaboration Is the Key to a Better Outcome
- The Johns Hopkins Medicine Connection
- THINC (Again!) Head Injury Patient Benefits from Research Protocol
- Johns Hopkins Voice Center Opens in Bethesda
- Save the date! Showcase 2014