I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Home > Suburban Hospital > About the Hospital > News & Publications > New Directions > New Directions Winter 2013
New Directions - A Lifetime of Care: Suburban Hospital Celebrates 70th Anniversary
New Directions Winter 2013
A Lifetime of Care: Suburban Hospital Celebrates 70th Anniversary
Date: November 1, 2013
Bethesda native Lucy Tolson Clarke has had a lifelong relationship with Suburban Hospital since her birth here in 1944.
Suburban Hospital has been there for Lucy Tolson Clarke and her family for nearly 70 years. The 69-year-old was born at the hospital on November 30, 1944, less than a year after the hospital opened its doors on December 13, 1943.
“I remember when it was just a little white building,” she says. “And I’ve watched it expand over the years.”
Clarke, a Bethesda native, grew up just a few blocks from the hospital on Glenwood Road in a house her parents moved into back in 1941. “That was when my mom referred to Bethesda as ‘The Village,’” she says. “Everything has grown by leaps and bounds since then.”
When she was a teenager, Clarke returned to Suburban Hospital as a Candy Striper, where she helped make beds and feed patients. “I remember pushing the magazine cart around,” she says.
Later, after getting married and having three children, Clarke became acquainted with the hospital’s emergency room. “My daughter swallowed a dime once and was there for a week,” she says. “And our younger son was always breaking something or getting stitches.”
Her most recent visit to Suburban Hospital was for a total knee replacement in July. “I had a great experience,” she says. “Suburban has always taken really good care of me and my family.”
Clarke, a former NIH senior grants management specialist and grandmother of four, currently resides in Rockville with her husband, Gary.
View our 70th celebration slideshow.
Articles in this Issue
Inside this Issue
- Year-End Giving
- JHCP Heart Care Expands Services
- $1M Clark Gift for Campus Enhancement
- President’s Message
- A Lifetime of Care: Suburban Hospital Celebrates 70th Anniversary
- Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery at Suburban Hospital
- Key To The Cure Supports Women’s Cancer Programs
- It Takes a Village to Save a Life
- Commitment to Excellence Honoree Helps Hospital Look Forward
- How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?
- When Physician Collaboration Is the Key to a Better Outcome
- The Johns Hopkins Medicine Connection
- THINC (Again!) Head Injury Patient Benefits from Research Protocol
- Johns Hopkins Voice Center Opens in Bethesda
- Save the date! Showcase 2014