Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
A facility separate from the adult ED that handles more than 25,000 visits annually for children of all ages who need emergent medical and surgical care. More than half the patients admitted to the Children’s Center arrive through the pediatric ED. As the regional pediatric trauma center for the state, we serve not only the local community but also receive referrals from throughout Maryland and surrounding states.
- All children ages newborn to 22 years of age with any illness or injury
- Specialty care including psychiatric care to age 18 years
- Level I Trauma to age 22 years and Burn Center to age 15 years
- State designated Child Abuse and Neglect Center
- Eye Emergency center
- Emergency Medical resource Center-Base Station: Certified physicians and nurses provide direction for pre-hospital providers throughout the state regardless of destination (24/7)
Number of Beds
- 35 total
- 3 triage
- 1:1 – 1:3
- 12 hour shifts-perm eves, perm nights and rotating D/N
- New grad RN every other weekend first 18 months, experienced RN every third weekend
- Flexible scheduling
- 70 percent RN, 78 percent BSN-prepared
- 13 percent Clinical Technician
- 16 weeks, classes and practicum
- New-grad Nurse Residency Program—PEDS Track with post-orientation mentoring