Carl E. Stafstrom, M.D., Ph.D. has joined the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine faculty as the Lederer Professor of Pediatric Epilepsy. He serves as the Director of Child Neurology and Director of the John M. Freeman Pediatric Epilepsy Center.
He will begin seeing patients in February. Patients can make appointments by calling 410-955-4259.
Dr. Stafstrom previously served as Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and Chief of Pediatric Neurology at American Family Children’s Hospital. He was recognized for outstanding patient care through UW Hospital’s Gold Star program in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
Other Professional Highlights
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: Citation for Excellence in Medical Student Teaching, Neuroscience Clerkship, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine (award established in 2007)
2008: The Lily Epilepsy Research Prize
2010: Residents’ Teaching Award, Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin
2011: Selected for American Neurological Association
2012: American Neurological Association Distinguished Neurology Teacher Award
Dr. Stafstrom received his medical degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, with residencies at the University of Washington Medical Center and Tufts New England Medical Center, as well as fellowships at Harvard for neurology research and Boston Children’s Hospital in clinical neurophysiology, electroencephalography, and epilepsy.
His areas of research interest include:
- Mechanisms of epileptogenesis and neuronal excitability in the developing brain
- Effects of seizures in the immature brain on subsequent cognitive function and seizure susceptibility
- Epilepsy syndromes in children
- Mechanisms of age-related susceptibility to various seizure types
- EEG characteristics and development
- Response to therapy and long-term outcome
- Dietary approaches to epilepsy management
- Children’s self-perceptions of neurologic disorders through art