Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Esophageal Cancer Program
The Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center has one of the leading esophageal cancer treatment programs in the nation. Our dedicated team of experts takes a special approach to treating esophageal cancer to give you the best possible chance for recovery.
But expertise and experience are just the beginning. Our patients say what they like best about coming to Johns Hopkins is that they know they’re seeing some of the nation’s leading cancer experts, but they feel like family members by the end of treatment. You’ll notice the warm, caring connections between our health care team and our patients from the moment you arrive.
Why Choose Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center for Esophageal Cancer Treatment?
Few centers treat as many esophageal cancer patients as we do each year. This depth of experience translates to more accurate diagnoses, more effective treatment plans and better outcomes for our patients.
- The ultimate in personal medicine: While many cancer treatment centers claim to use a multidisciplinary approach, ours is one of the few that places all members of your cancer team in the same room to discuss your needs. That means your doctors, dieticians, nurses and other cancer specialists will work together to develop your personalized treatment plan. We’ll make sure you are fully informed, involved and guided by your team every step of the way, from diagnosis to recovery. Learn more about our approach to esophageal cancer treatments.
- National expertise in diagnosis: We specialize in endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS), one of the most accurate techniques for finding and measuring tumors in the esophagus. EUS identifies concerns other tests might miss, helping your cancer team plan a more effective course of treatment for you. Read more about our expertise in esophageal cancer diagnosis.
- Compassionate, coordinated care: Before you receive a diagnosis, you will be able to call and talk to a coordinator, who will be your personal contact through the first steps of the diagnosis process and beyond. We’ll arrange all your tests ahead of time, to make your visit as convenient and worry-free as possible. Learn more about our patient support services.
- Leaders in esophageal cancer research: Our doctors have played a part in some of the biggest advances in esophageal cancer treatment in the last two decades. We continue to innovate new approaches to treatment with research and clinical trials, especially in the area of immunotherapy. Find out more about our advances in immunotherapy for esophageal cancer and esophageal cancer research and clinical trials.
- Regional expertise in radiation therapy: Our cancer radiation specialists treat more esophageal cancer patients with radiation therapy than any other center in our region. This experience means that we can provide you with the most advanced, effective radiation treatment possible. Learn more about our expertise in radiation therapy for esophageal cancer.
- Some of the most experienced surgeons nationwide: Our surgeons perform 80 to 100 esophageal cancer surgeries each year -- one of the highest rates in the nation. Research shows esophageal cancer patients experience better results when they undergo surgery at a center with higher volume. Read more about our leadership in esophageal cancer surgery.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.