Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Applications may be submitted by an individual faculty member or faculty team of up to three.
Two-Phase selection process:
Proposals should be a maximum of two pages in 12 point font to include
components listed below:
- Background (3 to 4 sentences)
- Project objective
- Methods (Description of the project, process of implementation, indentified learners)
- Proposed mentors, to include when possible both a content and educational scholarship mentor.
- Significance and impact
- Statement that you have discussed this with your department director (or designee) and have their support
- Brief budget description
- Importance of the topic
- Potential impact on learners
- Quality of methods
- Evidence and quality of evaluation
- Potential to influence education beyond Hopkins
Maximum possible score is 70.
The IEE will provide comments to each applicant and will include strengths of the proposal and constructive feedback for improvement.
From the Phase I submissions we will select the top 3-4 proposals and invite applicants to submit a more in depth proposal for Phase II.
Phase II: For those invited to submit full proposal
Formal proposals should be a maximum of 8 pages in 12 point font to include
numbers 1 and 2 below. The complete application must include numbers 1 through 7 below:
1. Two-page outline of Individualized learning plan for professional faculty development to
enhance educational skills:
2. Proposal for Educational Scholarship to include components listed below:
- Title page with title of project not included in page count
- Background/needs assessment
- Goals and objectives of study
- Statistical analysis/evaluation
- Impact within Hopkins and beyond
- Letters of support from mentors, which ideally should include both a content and an educational scholarship expert, detailing thier role and time commitment to the project and the planned periodicity of mentoring meetings
- Detailed budget and justification. (the international grant may be used for salary support, the individual faculty educational development plan, and/or project expenses)
- A letter of support from your department director (or designee) indicating their support for the project, as well as the details of any time, funding or support they may be able to provide
- Timetable and plan for dissemination
- List of specific deliverables for quarterly reports to the IEE Managing Board
4. Two-page biosketches for both applicant(s) and mentor(s)
5. Curriculum vitae of applicant(s)Scoring for the Phase II review will use a scoring instrument developed by the IEE Managing Board and the Selection Committee:
1. Personal Faculty Development Plan (20 points)
- Specific plan and time line for professional development activities during this award cycle
- Demonstration of how plan will influence applicant's teaching practice
2. Proposal for Educational Scholarship (70 points total - 10 points each)
- Importance of topic
- Innovation and/or impact
- Feasibility of accomplishing project objectives
- Quality of methods
- Quality of project evaluation
- Likelihood of successful dissemination
- Potential to influence medical education broadly
3. Evidence of Quality Mentorship (10 points)
- Mentor(s) to be a faculty member identified by the applicant with appropriate expertise to assist with the project and career development of the applicant
- The IEE will also provide targeted mentorship specific to the content area identified within the project
4. Support of Department Director
5. Exhibits Promise for a Career as Educator/Commitment to Education
2015 Call for Proposals
- Call date: September 1, 2014
- Phase I - Call deadline and selection for Phase II: October 17, 2014
- Selected awardees invited to submit full proposal: December 5, 2014
- Phase II - Deadline for formal proposals and complete application: January 28, 2015
- Grant announcement: (approx.) March 27, 2015
- Funding available: July 1, 2015
Oversight Committee: Janet Serwint, MD, the IEE Managing Board and invited Hopkins faculty members.
Selection Committee: Janet Serwint, MD (Chair), Jessica L. Bienstock, MD, MPH, Joseph Cofrancesco Jr., MD, MPH, FACP (non-voting member), David E. Kern, MD, MPH, FACP, Mitchell A. Goldstein, MD, Pamela A. Lipsett, MD, MHPE, FACS, FCCM, Peter C. Maloney, PhD, Nicole Shilkofski, MD, MEd, Scott Wright, MD, Stephen C. Yang, MD.