Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
As a global health leader, Johns Hopkins benefits from the talents of a diverse community. In that spirit, the School of Medicine encourages qualified international students to apply.
International Student Requirements
In addition to standard prerequisites for all applicants, the following apply to aspiring students who are non-U.S. residents:
- Preparation in foreign universities, in most cases, must be supplemented by a year or more of work at an approved university in the United States. Please note that this is not a requirement for applicants whose bachelors degree was received in Canada.
- Successful passage of the TOEFL examination is required for all students whose undergraduate instruction was conducted primarily in a language other than English.
Please note that completion of an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution is required for all prospective medical students.
Financial aid funding in the form of institutional loan and/or scholarship is now available to all current and newly admitted non-U.S. resident medical students who qualify. Applicants who do not hold a permanent visa or an immigrant visa are encouraged to review the financial aid website.
Students who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents and students not in possession of immigrant visas will be obligated to satisfy the School of Medicine’s international medical student financial requirement. For the upcoming academic year, the financial requirement is $76,397 (USD) for the first year of your medical studies. This amount is non-negotiable and can be satisfied with:
- A non-negotiable irrevocable Letter of Credit (LOC) in the name of The Johns Hopkins University
- A combination of cash and LOC
- A Letter of Guarantee (LOG) issued in the name of The Johns Hopkins University and authorized by an appropriate embassy or government official from your home country
This amount can also be reduced with any accepted offers of financial aid.