I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Primary: Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences; Secondary: Oncology; Other: Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine, Malaysia
Degree: M.D., Stanford University
Telephone Number : 410-955-8484
Fax Number: 410-955-1894
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Medicine Address: 311 Biophysics Building, 725 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore, MD 21205
Genetic immunotherapy of infectious diseases and cancer by targeting DNA encoded antigen chimeras to MHC II; HIV-1 peptide vaccine; bioinformatic analysis of viral and other protein structures
The research of this laboratory is directed at programs for peptide and genetic immunotherapy and bioinformatic analysis of the immune structure of virus and cancer proteins.
- A novel strategy for genetic immunotherapy by antigen targeting to helper T cells - We have developed a strategy for targeting the protein products of DNA vaccines to the major histocompatability complex (MHC) class II pathway for antigen presentation to CD4+ helper T cells. The DNA vaccine is constructed as a recombinant gene chimera, containing the antigen sequence attached to the the LAMP lysosomal membrane protein that is co-localized with MHC II of antigen presenting cells. This technology is now widely studied for many vaccine applications. Studies in this laboratory are mainly directed at HIV-1 and flavivirus vaccines.
- Gupta, V., Tabiin, T.M., Sun, K., Chandrasekaran, A., Anwar, A., Yang, K., Chikhlikar, P., Salmon, J., Brusic, V., Marques, E.T.A., Srinivasan, K.N., August, J.T. SARS coronavirus nucleocapsid immunodominant T-cell epitopes are common to both exogenous recombinant and endogenous DNA encoded immunognes. Virology 347:1270-1399, 2006. Pub Med Reference
- Khan, A.M., Miotto, O., Heiny, A.T., Salmon, J., Srinivasan, K.N., Nascimento, E.J., Marques, E.T., Brusic, V., Tan, T.W., August, J.T. A systematic bioinformatics approach for selection of epitope-based vaccine targets. Cell Immunol. 244:141-147, 2007. Pub Med Reference
- Heiny, A.T., Miotto, O., Srinivasan, K.N., Khan, A.M., Zhang, G.L., Brusic, V., Tan, T.W., August, J.T. Evolutionarily conserved protein sequences of influenza a viruses, avian and human, as vaccine targets. PLoS ONE 2(11):e1190, 2007. Pub Med Reference
- Khan, A.M., Miotto, O., Nascimento, E.J., Srinivasan, K.N., Heiny, A.T., Zhang, G.L., Marques, E.T., Tan, T.W., Brusic, V., Salmon, J., August, J.T. Conservation and variability of dengue virus proteins: implications for vaccine design. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2(8):e272, 2008. Pub Med Reference
- Koo, Q.Y., Khan, A.M., Jung, K.O., Ramdas, S., Miotto, O., Tan, T.W., Brusic, V., Salmon, J., August, J.T. Conservation and variability of West Nile virus proteins. PLoS ONE 4(4):e5352, 2009. Pub Med Reference
- Yang, K., Sun, K., Srinivasan, K.N., Salmon, J., Marques, E.T., Xu, J., August, J.T. Immune responses to T-cell epitopes of SARS CoV-N protein are enhanced by N immunization with a chimera of lysosome-associated membrane protein. Gene Ther. 16(11):1353-1362, 2009. PubMed Reference
- Tan, P.T., Heiny, A.T., Miotto, O., Salmon, J., Marques, E.T., Lemonnier, F., August, J.T. Conservation and diversity of influenza A H1N1 HLA-restricted T cell epitope candidates for epitope-based vaccines. PLoS ONE 5(1):e8754, 2010. Pub Med Reference
- Simon, G.G., Hu, Y., Khan, A.M., Zhou, J., Salmon, J., Chikhlikar, P.R., Jung, K.O., Marques, E.T., August, J.T. Dendritic cell mediated delivery of plasmid DNA encoding LAMP/HIV-1 Gag fusion immunogen enhances T cell epitope responses in HLA DR4 transgenic mice. PLoS ONE 5(1):e8574, 2010. Pub Med Reference
- Tan, P.T., Khan, A.M., August, J.T. Highly conserved influenza A sequences as T cell epitopes-based vaccine targets to address the viral variability. Human Vaccines 7(4):402-409, 2011. Pub Med Reference
Other graduate programs in which Dr. August participates: