For more information about the Pain Fellowship, please visit the Anesthesiology Web site.
Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship Director: Michael Erdek, M.D.
Current Pain Fellows (2011- 2012):
- Raimy Amasha, M.D. – University of Michigan
- Artemus Flagg, M.D., M.P.H. – Johns Hopkins University
- Nathan Neufeld, D.O. – Johns Hopkins University
- Leon Perel, M.D. – George Washington University
Where have our recent fellows have gone after the completion of the program:
- 2012: Bret Bahn, MD – University of Michigan School of Medicine, Anesthesiology
- 2012: Hameed Haroon, MD – The Johns Hopkins University, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 2012: Chitra Ramasubbu, MD – University of Pennsylvania, Anesthesiology
- 2012: Nelson Tang, MD - Stony Brook University Medical Center, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 2011: Michael Bottros, MD – Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Pain Management
- 2011: Jeffrey Gamble, MD – Walter Reed Medical Center, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Pain Medicine
- 2011: Sean Li, MD – Private Practice Pain Management
- 2011: Kai McGreevy, MD – Private Practice Pain Management
- 2010: Meredith C.B. Adams, MD - University of Florida, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2010: Haitham Al-Grain, MD - Johns Hopkins University, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- 2010: Karsten Bartels, MD - University of Pittsburgh, Department of Anesthesiology
- 2009: Brandon Goff, DO - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency at Walter Reed, Bethesda
- 2009: Steven Harrison, MD - Anesthesiology Residency at Vanderbilt University, Nashville
- 2009: Paul Ky, DO - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- 2009: Jing Wang, MD/PhD - New York University, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2008: Anita Gupta, M.D., Pharm.D. - University of Pennsylvannia, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2008: Bryan Williams, M.D. - Rush University, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2007: Chad Brummett, M.D. - University of Michigan, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2007: Robert Hurley, M.D./Ph.D. - University of Florida
- 2006: Jim Houston, M.D. - Bethesda Naval Hospital, Division of Pain Medicine
- 2006-2010: Steven Harrison, Spencer Heaton, Greg Hobelmann, Dave Maine, Sarah Merritt, Amit Sharma, Aubrey Verdun - Private Practice Pain Management
Publications from our recent fellows during their Pain Fellowship:
Flagg A 2nd, McGreevy K, Williams K. Spinal Cord Stimulation in the Treatment of Cancer-Related Pain: "Back to the Origins" Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2012 May 19. [Epub ahead of print]
McGreevy K, Hameed H, Erdek MA. Updated Perspectives on Occipital Nerve Stimulator Lead Migration: Case Report and Literature Review. Clin J Pain. 2012 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]
McGreevy K, Williams KA, Christo PJ. Cephalad lead migration following spinal cord stimulation implantation. Pain Physician. 2012 Jan-Feb;15(1):E79-87.
Hurley RW, Lesley MR, Adams MC, Brummett CM, Wu CL. Pregabalin as a treatment for painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a meta-analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008 Sep-Oct;33(5):389-94.
Cohen SP, Maine DN, Shockey SM, Kudchadkar S, Griffith S. Inadvertent disk injection during transforaminal epidural steroid injection: steps for prevention and management. Pain Med. 2008 Sep;9(6):688-94. Epub 2008 Jul 24.
Cohen SP, Christo PJ, Wang S, Chen L, Stojanovic MP, Shields CH, Brummett C, Mao J. The effect of opioid dose and treatment duration on the perception of a painful standardized clinical stimulus. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008 May-Jun;33(3):199-206.
Cohen SP, Hurley RW, Buckenmaier CC 3rd, Kurihara C, Morlando B, Dragovich A. Randomized placebo-controlled study evaluating lateral branch radiofrequency denervation for sacroiliac joint pain. Anesthesiology. 2008 Aug;109(2):279-88.
Hurley RW, Adams MC. Sex, gender, and pain: an overview of a complex field. Anesth Analg. 2008 Jul;107(1):309-17. Review.
Cohen SP, Stojanovic MP, Crooks M, Kim P, Schmidt RK, Shields CH, Croll S, Hurley RW. Lumbar zygapophysial (facet) joint radiofrequency denervation success as a function of pain relief during diagnostic medial branch blocks: a multicenter analysis. Spine J. 2008 May-Jun;8(3):498-504. Epub 2007 Jun 18.
Cohen SP, Christo PJ, Wang S, Chen L, Stojanovic MP, Shields CH, Brummett C, Mao J. The effect of opioid dose and treatment duration on the perception of a painful standardized clinical stimulus. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2008 May-Jun;33(3):199-206. PMID: 18433669
Cohen SP, Hurley RW, Christo PJ, Winkley J, Mohiuddin MM, Stojanovic MP. Clinical predictors of success and failure for lumbar facet radiofrequency denervation. Clin J Pain. 2007 Jan;23(1):45-52. PMID: 17277644
Cohen SP, Hurley RW. The ability of diagnostic spinal injections to predict surgical outcomes. Anesth Analg. 2007 Dec;105(6):1756-75, PMID: 18042881
Cohen SP, Bajwa ZH, Kraemer JJ, Dragovich A, Williams KA, Stream J, Sireci A, McKnight G, Hurley RW. Factors predicting success and failure for cervical facet radiofrequency denervation: a multi-center analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007 Nov-Dec;32(6):495-503. PMID: 18035295
Sykes KT, White SR, Hurley RW, Mizoguchi H, Tseng LF, Hammond DL. Mechanisms responsible for the enhanced antinociceptive effects of mu-opioid receptor agonists in the rostral ventromedial medulla of male rats with persistent inflammatory pain. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007 Aug;322(2):813-21. Epub 2007 May 9.
Cohen SP, Hurley RW, Wenzell D, Kurihara C, Buckenmaier CC 3rd, Griffith S, Larkin TM, Dahl E, Morlando BJ. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-response pilot study evaluatingintradiscal etanercept in patients with chronic discogenic low back pain or lumbosacral radiculopathy. Anesthesiology. 2007 Jul;107(1):99-105.
Johanek LM, Meyer RA, Hartke T, Hobelmann JG, Maine DN, LaMotte RH, Ringkamp M. Psychophysical and physiological evidence for parallel afferent pathways mediating the sensation of itch. J Neurosci. 2007 Jul 11;27(28):7490-7.
Christo PJ, Hobelmann G, Maine DN. Post-herpetic neuralgia in older adults: evidence-based approaches to clinical management. Drugs Aging. 2007;24(1):1-19.
Sharma A, Williams K, Raja SN. Advances in treatment of complex regional pain syndrome: recent insights on a perplexing disease. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2006 Oct;19(5):566-72.