Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Preparing for IV/Oral Sedation
These patient instructions are for both:
- General anesthesia
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation
Instructions for Our Dental Patients
These instructions are for your safety, so please read over them very carefully. To indicate that you have read and understood these instructions, please sign and date the bottom of the sheet we will send to you and bring it with you on the day of surgery.
- You should not have ANYTHING to eat or drink after midnight, the night before your surgery. This includes water. If you take regular medications, you may take them as usual with a small sip of water. After your surgery procedure, you may eat at any time.
- Come to the hospital with a responsible adult, who will take you home after your surgery.
- If you wear contacts, remove them before you come to the hospital.
- If you have dentures, a partial plate or removable bridgework and you must wear it the day of your surgery, please bring a container to store it in during your surgery.
- Call the Dental Division at 443-997-6467 if you have developed a cold before your surgery.
- Surgery appointments with general anesthesia or IV sedation are scheduled very closely. If you must cancel your surgery, it is very important that you notify the clinic AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- The instructions 1 and 2 are for your SAFETY; if they are not followed, we MUST cancel your surgery.
- Partial or full payment may be required on the day of surgery. Please be prepared for this. If you have any questions, please call the office ahead of time.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 410-955-6663 or 410-955-2083.