Para-somnia literally means behaviors occurring at the time of sleep. In general, these behaviors occur during the transition from sleep-wake or during transitions within the different stages of sleep.
In most cases, parasomnias are infrequent and benign and do not require medical attention. A formal evaluation by a sleep specialist should be considered in the following situations:
- Episodes result in injury to the individual or others
- Episodes result in significant sleep disruption to the individual or members of their household
- Episodes result in significant daytime dysfunction.
Some of the conditions categorized as parasomnias include:
- Night terrors
- Sleep walking
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Sleep-related eating disorders
- Somniloquy (talking in one’s sleep)