Behavioral Therapy instruction will be provided to parents and/or behavioral therapists on a DVD. In order to determine if a video method of providing behavioral therapy is effective, families will be asked to complete some questionnaires and rating scales. Prior to starting behavioral therapy, families will be asked to complete initial questionnaires and rating scales. After completing behavioral therapy, parents will be asked to rate movements and complete questionnaires again.
Participants must be screened prior to participation, interested in behavioral therapy, and must be at least 7 years of age. We are currently recruiting children with primary complex motor stereotypies. These movements include flapping or rotating the hands, fluttering fingers in front of the face, flapping/waving arm movements, opening and closing of the hands, and finger wiggling.
Total time commitment: introductory phone screening plus completion of questionnaires online at your own convenience, and completion of behavioral therapy sessions as indicated on video training sessions. Anticipated total length of time in study is about one month.
- Introductory phone screening – Parent or guardian completes a telephone questionnaire administered by our Study Coordinator to confirm whether the child meets the eligibility criteria.
- Online questionnaires – Parents or individuals with primary complex motor stereotypies will complete several questionnaires online at their own leisure. Questionnaires may take roughly 45-60 minutes to complete once every 6-12 months. Upon completion of Introductory phone screen for eligibility, Research coordinator will provide the Access Code to complete the online questionnaires at www.psychdata.com.
- Behavioral therapy – Families complete behavioral therapy session work as directed by the educational video. Sessions last about 30-45 minutes, but homework will require daily work on the part of both the child and parents.
More information and enrollment:
Call 410-955-1960 for Tina Kline, Study Coordinator.
- View the Motor Stereotypy Severity Scale.
- View the Stereotypy Linear Analog Scale.
- View the Repetitive Behavior Scale.