Skip Navigation
Q-Team photo banner
Print This Page
Share this page: More

One Patient's Story: Josue Hernandez Hervas

texto español

My parents were pleasantly surprised when I was born because they weren´t expecting me to have carrot colored hair. It was a beautiful spring day. When they took me to the room the morning sun was pouring through the window and there were my sister and my family. They were dying to meet me and they talked and talked about me and laughed. They thought my hair was funny. It was like strands of pumpkin circling my head as it was long and a bit manic. We later had funny stories that I heard my mother repeat on several occasions.

And so I grew. My parents still remember the day I started walking. They sat on the floor and called me towards them. Then around the house, in the school playground, in the park. I loved climbing and would raise myself up to the highest places.

After the summer of 2007 I started dragging my left leg a bit but nobody noticed, not at school, not my teachers, not my friends, nobody except for my parents. Nothing was hurting then and I wasn’t tired either. I was very happy.

Josue Hernandez Hervas

At first I thought it was strange to see so many doctors. My parents could not have imagined what I had until I had my MRI scan. As I remember it my aunt Chus who explained to me that I had a type of marble at the top of my spine, well, very close to the nape of my neck and she told me that I needed an operation. That year was important in my life, it was the first time that my birthday had double figures and it was emotional blowing out two candles on my chocolate cake. If I had reached two figures, I thought while I blew the candles out, imagine how many I could reach! From then on I felt more grown up and every day I was enjoying sports more and more, especially football (soccer). We trained at school and played every Saturday. I was the goalkeeper for my year’s team, and just like everyone else, we always liked winning.

At Christmas 2007 I tripped two or three times in the main square in Valladolid which is where we spent Christmas with my family and I almost fell. I also stopped using my left hand to eat. I still didn’t really understand what had happened to me. Afterwards we went to Rome (Italy), and in St. Peter’s Square, I opened out a really big Spanish flag. My mother believes that the Pope saw me and silently blessed me. A few days before my operation I drew a picture on a sheet of paper. It was of the hospital and the doctor. I was also in the picture lying on a stretcher with a drip in my arm, and then I coloured it in.

I always feel the love of my parents, my sister and my family and although sometimes I may be far from them, at school, with my friends or on some trip I notice their warmth and presence and that makes me feel very secure. I now believe that this love they give me protects me and has been very important in my illness.

One evening as my parents were starting to fall asleep on the sofa they happened to see a programme on television with the operation that the doctor Jallo had performed on a boy. It was a very similar case to mine and everything turned out brilliantly. Shortly afterwards, I started to get worse, it was harder and harder to walk, my neck hurt and some days I missed school. Later I started to use a wheelchair for all journeys even around my house and I stopped going to school. I also needed help to eat, to get dressed, to do anything. Home was always a happy place. If I asked my parents they would tell me that they were worried but that they believed that an answer would soon be found. And then one day, they told me that we were going to a hospital far away from here, in Baltimore where there were some very good doctors and I began to dream that they would heal me and I would leave the hospital walking and wearing my favourite footballer’s shirt. I was eager to know the USA. That way I would be a bit closer to The Lakers, to Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant, a bit closer to the Celtics, to Garnett and Rondo, and there we would be able to watch the NBA finals and the beautiful basketball show. My parents have promised me that next time we travel to the United States we will go and watch a basketball match.

I also knew where many of the American states were on the map and I also knew a bit about their culture and customs. Now I had to concentrate more on Maryland, get to know where the hospital was, the port and the streets of Baltimore. It was the city that was going to welcome us.

The doctors operated on me on June 3rd. They had already told us that it was going to be a very difficult procedure. For us it was a very special day. I will never forget my uncles and aunts and my friends calling from Spain to cheer me on and make me smile as much as the clowns in the circus. The truth was that it didn’t seem like I was going into surgery in a few hours. The doctors made us feel very relaxed. They are also special people. Later, my father took me to surgery and I don’t remember any more. I fell asleep quickly, but I know that they worked extremely hard. The doctors opened me up, cut and removed my tumor, and cleaned my insides very carefully. I’m sure they sweated like sportsmen. Later, just like in the football World Cup, they were successful and victorious. When my mother talks about my operation and the doctors she always says that God’s hands are in their hands.


After that I started a lot of rehabilitation and to recover bit by bit. Now, every day, before going to bed, when the moon starts lighting up the sky, we join our hands and remember the doctors, we thank them and wish good things for them. We want the glory to continue in their work and their lives and want them to be healthy so that they can continue with all the good that they do for children and people in need, so that they can continue to flourish on their way. Then we open the window and blow our wishes with all our might and let them fly.

And when I am grown up or when I am like my granddad, in the soft dusk of the day, I will still remember the smell of my childhood, a country, a city, a hospital, a team and two doctors, the trace of my childhood as beautiful as the morning light.

Baltimore and the John Hopkins Hospital, Dr Jallo and Dr Quiñones-Hinojosa, so far in the distance and so close in my heart.

Love from,
Josué Santiago

«« return to top


Josue Hernandez Hervas

Mis padres se llevaron una buena sorpresa cuando nací porque no se esperaban que iba a tener el pelo del color de una zanahoria. Era un día muy bonito de primavera. Cuando me llevaron a la habitación el sol de la mañana entraba por la ventana y allí estaba mi hermana y mi familia, tenían muchas ganas de conocerme y hablaban y hablaban de mí y se reían, les hacia gracia mi pelo, eran como finos hilos de calabaza rodeando mi cabeza, lo tenía largo y un poco alborotado. Luego hemos tenido historias graciosas que he oído repetir a mi madre en numerosas ocasiones.

Y fui creciendo, mis padres todavía se acuerdan del día que empecé a andar, se sentaron en el suelo y me llamaban para que fuese hacia ellos, luego, en mi casa, en el patio de mi colegio, en el parque, me gustaba subirme y encaramarme a los sitios más altos.

Después del verano de 2007 empecé a arrastrar un poco la pierna izquierda, pero nadie se daba cuenta, ni en el colegio, ni los profesores, ni mis amigos, nadie, excepto mi padre, todavía no me dolía nada, ni me cansaba. Entonces me sentía muy feliz.

Al principio, me parecía raro ir a tantos médicos. Mis padres no se podían imaginar lo que tenía hasta que me hicieron una resonancia. De lo que mejor me acuerdo es que mi tía Chus me explicó que tenía como una especie de canica en la columna, arriba del todo, bueno... muy cerca de la nuca y me dijo que me tenían que operar. Ese año estaba siendo importante en mi vida, era la primera vez que mi cumpleaños tenía dos números y fue muy emocionante soplar dos velas en la tarta de chocolate, si, eran dos números y pensé, mientras suspiraba contento, ¡hasta cuántos podía llegar!,, entonces ya empezaba a sentirme mayor, y cada día me gustaban más los deportes, sobre todo el fútbol, entrenábamos en mi colegio y jugábamos los sábados, era el portero del equipo de mi curso y como a todos, siempre nos gustaba ganar.

En Navidad de 2007 tropecé dos o tres veces en la Plaza Mayor de Valladolid que es donde pasamos la Navidad con mi familia y casi me caigo, también dejé de utilizar la mano izquierda para comer, yo todavía no entendía bien lo que me pasaba. Después viajamos a Roma (Italia) y en la plaza de San Pedro desplegué una bandera española muy grande. Mi madre cree que el Papa me miró y me dio su bendición en silencio. Pocos días antes de la operación hice un dibujo en una hoja de papel, había dibujado el Hospital y al Doctor, yo también estaba en el dibujo, tumbado en una camilla y con suero en el brazo, y después lo pinté de colores.

Siempre he sentido el cariño de mis padres, de mi hermana y de mi familia, y aunque algunas veces esté un poco lejos de ellos, en el colegio, con mis amigos o en alguna excursión, noto su calor y su presencia y eso me da mucha seguridad. Ahora pienso que ese amor que me dan me protege y ha sido muy importante en mi enfermedad.

Josue Hernandez Hervas

Un día por la noche, cuando mis padres se estaban empezando a quedar dormidos en el sofá, vieron casualmente un programa en televisión y salía la operación que el Dr Jallo realizó a un niño, era un caso muy similar al mío y todo salió fenomenal. Poco tiempo después empecé a estar peor, cada vez me costaba más andar, me dolía el cuello y algunos días faltaba al colegio; más tarde empecé a utilizar la silla de ruedas para todos los desplazamientos, hasta por el pasillo de mi casa y dejé de ir al Colegio, también necesitaba ayuda para comer, para vestirme, para cualquier cosa. En mi casa siempre había alegría, si les preguntaba a mis padres me decían que estaban preocupados, pero que creían que pronto iban a encontrar la solución, hasta que un día me dijeron que nos íbamos a ir a un Hospital muy lejos de aquí, a Baltimore, allí había unos doctores muy buenos y entonces empecé a soñar que me curaba y que iba a salir del Hospital andando y luciendo las camisetas de mis jugadores favoritos. ¡Que ganas tenía de conocer Estados Unidos!, así estaría un poco mas cerca de Los Lakers, de Pau Gasol y de Kobe Bryant, un poco más cerca de los Celtics, de Garnett y Rondo, y allí pudimos ver las finales de la NBA y el precioso espectáculo del baloncesto. Mis padres me han prometido que la próxima vez que viajemos a Estados Unidos iremos a ver un partido de baloncesto.

Ya sabía donde se encontraban en el mapa muchos de los estados de USA y también conocía un poco su cultura y sus costumbres, ahora tenía que detenerme más en Maryland, conocer en el plano donde se encontraba el Hospital, el puerto y las calles de Baltimore, era la ciudad que nos iba a acoger.

Los Doctores me operaron el día 3 de junio, ya nos habían informado que era una intervención muy difícil. Para nosotros ese día fue muy especial, nunca olvidaré cuando me llamaron mis tíos y mis amigos desde España para darme ánimo y hacerme reír, me reí mucho, si, tanto como con los payasos en el Circo, la verdad que no parecía que a las pocas horas iba a entrar al quirófano. Los doctores nos hicieron sentir muy tranquilos, ellos también son personas especiales, después mi padre me llevó al quirófano y no me acuerdo de nada más, me dormí enseguida, pero se muy bien que trabajaron muchísimo, dentro de mi los Doctores abrieron, cortaron y quitaron mi tumor y lo limpiaron con mucho cuidado, y seguro que también sudaron, como los deportistas, luego, como en el Mundial de fútbol, consiguieron el éxito y la victoria. Mi madre cuando habla de mi operación y de los doctores siempre dice que están las manos de Dios en sus manos.

Después empecé a hacer mucha rehabilitación y a recuperarme poco a poco a poco. Ahora, todos los días, antes de acostarme,cuando la luna comienza a iluminar la noche, juntamos nuestras manos y tenemos un recuerdo especial para los Doctores, son pensamientos de gratitud y de buenos deseos para ellos, queremos que siga la gloria en su trabajo y en su vida y que tengan mucha salud para que puedan seguir haciendo el bien a los niños y a las personas que lo necesitan, para que sigan floreciendo en su camino, y luego abrimos la ventana y soplamos nuestros deseos con mucha fuerza, y los dejamos volar.

Y cuando ya sea mayor o cuando sea como mi abuelo, en el suave atardecer de los días, seguirá en mi recuerdo el perfume de mi infancia, seguirá un pais, una ciudad, un Hospital, un equipo y dos Doctores; seguirá el rastro hermoso de mi niñez como la luz del amanecer.

Baltimore y el Hospital Johns Hopkins; Baltimore y el Dr Jallo y el Dr Quiñones-Hinojosa , tan lejos en la distancia y tan cerca en el corazón.

Un abrazo,
Josué Santiago

«« return to top


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. All rights reserved.