I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Translational Research in Neuro AIDS and Mental Health
Funded by NIMH program on mentoring to diversify mental health HIV research through innovative educational initiatives.
Course description: This course is designed to train the next generation of Neuro-AIDS researchers who will address issues faced by the minority populations with regards to neurocognitive impairment due to HIV infection. The course consists of a series of lectures and discussions, mentoring program and provides pilot grants to select few on a competitive basis.
Offered: Fall (August-December)
Course Coordinator: Heather Thomas, MBA
The course focuses on the issues related to co-morbidities associated with neuro-AIDS, such as mental illness, hepatitis C infection (HCV), drug and alcohol abuse, as well as issues that may be most relevant to underrepresented minorities.
Grading: Background class presentation – 25%; class discussion – 25%; final take-home exam – 50%.
- Present an opportunity to learn about all aspects of Neuro-AIDS research
- Create an environment for networking and collaboration between students and experienced scientists
- Offer an opportunity for partnerships among ethnic minority scientists working on complementary scientific projects
- Develop the next generation of researchers in Neuro-AIDS
Schedule: The course begins each year on the last Tuesday in August and runs until the third week of December. The class meets every Tuesday from 2:30-4:00 p.m. The course will run for a total of 12 weeks.
- Trainees affiliated with Johns Hopkins may register through the Registrar for the School of Medicine.
- For individuals not affiliated with Johns Hopkins, fill out the required forms and email to the course co-director, Amanda Brown.
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.