Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Home > The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center > Research & Clinical Trials > Clinical Trials > Featured Clinical Trials
(Men Offering Understanding of Throat HPV)
IRB: JH IRB00119537
A Research Study of Oral HPV in Healthy Men
Researchers at Johns Hopkins want to better understand how certain behaviors, such as smoking, and other risk factors affect oral HPV infection rates and how likely these infections will persist over time.
Who Can Join?
You may be able to join this study if you are:
- Man between 35-69 years old
- Performed oral sex on more than two partners in your lifetime
- Have never had head or neck cancer
- Willing to return to Johns Hopkins for follow-up
Take this brief survey to see if you are eligible to participate.
What Does the Study Involve?
If you participate in the study, researchers will ask you to:
- Complete a short survey about behaviors we think might be related to oral HPV infection risk.
- Swish saline (salt water) in your mouth and spit the saline into a cup. Cells from your saline rinse will be tested for HPV DNA.
- Some participants will be invited to come back for four annual follow-up visits to provide saliva, urine and blood samples, and have a head and neck examination (at select visits) to check for abnormalities at no cost to you.
How Long Will the Study Last?
Most study participants will have one visit to Johns Hopkins. Some participants will be asked to return for annual follow up visits at Johns Hopkins for four years.
Will I Be Paid?
Study participants receive a $15 gift card at each study visit.
***This research study is supported by funding from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. R35 DE026631