Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
At Johns Hopkins, we pride ourselves on offering a multidisciplinary clinic where patients who have been diagnosed with head or neck cancer can receive a comprehensive evaluation and consensus opinion from several disciplines in ONE appointment. Patients will meet with some of the top head and neck cancer clinicians and specialists in the country regarding the management and treatment of their cancer.
Patients who will benefit from this clinic have a biopsy confirmed head or neck cancer that includes:
- HPV (human papillomavirus) related head and neck cancer
- Oropharyngeal cancer ( includes the base of tongue ,soft palate, tonsils and side and back wall of the throat )
- Hypopharyngeal cancer (cancer found in the bottom part of the throat)
- Laryngeal cancer
- 2nd opinions for the above listed head and neck cancers
The Johns Hopkins Head & Neck Cancer Multidisciplicary Clinic is held on Friday mornings and begins with a review of the patient’s available information by numerous disciplines ( surgical oncology, medical oncology and radiation oncology). They perform a history and physical of the patient, outside biopsy specimens are reviewed by a specialized Johns Hopkins pathologist, outside scans are reviewed by a Johns Hopkins radiologist and then they discuss the best approach for treatment for each patients specific diagnosis. By using this approach, we provide our patients with three valuable opportunities:
- Patients can have access to physicians from numerous disciplines at ONE visit
- Patients are provided a consensus opinion regarding the management of their specific diagnosis.
- Patients have an opportunity to openly discuss the pros and cons of various approaches.
Whether seeking a second opinion or ready to start treatment, we encourage patients to see our multidisciplinary team to learn about diagnostic and treatment options as well as current research and available clinical trials.
To make an appointment or refer a patient to the Head & Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary Clinic, please call our coordinator at 410-955-2309 or e-mail email@example.com