Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The Biosafety Office assists the Hopkins community in maintaining a safe work environment that is compliant with federal, state and community regulations. Our goal is to serve as a technical knowledgebase and training resource for biological safety issues on campus.
The following services are provided to the Hopkins community through the Biosafety Office:
- Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules Registration
- Infectious Agent/Pathogen Registration
- Biological Toxin Registration
- Human Tissue Registration
- Select Agent Registration
- Dual-use Research of Concern (DURC) IRE Assessment
- Registration of Clinical Research Protocols Involving the Introduction of Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules, Potential Infectious Agents/Pathogens, and/or Biological Toxins in Human Subjects
- Biological Safety Cabinet Certification and Maintenance
- Annual Research Laboratory Safety Surveys
- Biosafety Training Modules for Laboratory Personnel and Interested Support Staff
- NIH Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules and Gene Transfer Guidelines
- CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th Edition
- CDC Office of Health and Safety Biosafety Site (includes CDC link to BMBL 5th ed.)
- Health Canada's MSDS Database for Microorganisms
- National Library of Medicine/PubMed
- National Library of Medicine/Toxnet
- American Biological Safety Association
- Chesapeake Area Biological Safety Association
The Biological Safety Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Johns Hopkins Medicine
2024 E. Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Stephen C. Dahl, Ph.D., RBP - Director, Biological Safety and Biosafety Officer - firstname.lastname@example.org
Weiying Pan, Ph.D. - Associate Biosafety Officer
Tylicia R. McRae - Institutional Biosafety Committee - Administrative Assistant II
Kathy A. Cook - Administrative Assistant
Biological Safety Cabinet Certification/ HEPA Filtration Team
Tamie Maier - Biosafety Cabinet Service Coordinator
Timothy Travers - Supervisor, Biological Safety Cabinet Certification - Biological Safety Cabinet Certifier, NSF
Bryan Kahler - Biological Safety Cabinet Certifier, NSF
Arthur Speth - Biological Safety Cabinet Certifier, NSF
Robert Williams - Biological Safety Cabinet Assistant
Laboratory Safety Team
Jack Barrett, M.S. - Research Safety Specialist
Abigail Rainsley, B.S. - Research Safety Specialist
Nadia Desir, M.S. - Research Safety Specialist
Peter Gillam B.S. - Research Safety Specialist