Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
JHH HEIC is closely monitoring the updates on Zika virus.
Click here to learn more about the origins of the Zika virus and how you can protect yourself.
About the Department:
The mission of the Department of Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control at the Johns Hopkins Hospital is to support the institution's tripartite mission of research, teaching, and patient care; to promote patient safety by reducing the risk of acquiring and transmitting infections; and to be a leader in healthcare epidemiology and infection control.
- Perform comprehensive surveillance for healthcare-associated infections and epidemiologically significant organisms
- Identify and investigate clusters or outbreaks of infection
- Analyze procedure and device-associated infections
- Create evidence-based interventions to prevent healthcare-associated infections
- Evaluate methods and technologies to reduce transmission of pathogens within the institution
- Create and maintain appropriate infection control policies
- Develop and maintain educational programs regarding infection control for all hospital employees, physicians, and trainees
- Provide consultation to health care providers in the assessment and management of patients and employees with communicable diseases
- Provide input for the content and scope of occupational health and safety programs related to infection control and prevention
- Advise senior leadership on issues related to reduction of infection risks and regulatory requirements
- Administer ongoing programs and initiatives for continuous quality assessment, quality improvement, and infection risk reduction (e.g. hand hygiene promotion and monitoring).