Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Continental Breakfast and Registration
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Welcome – Dr. Kass (Sommer Auditorium)
Morning Session – Invited Speakers (Sommer Auditorium)
8:30 a.m. - noon
Each speaker gets between 30-40 minutes for their talk, with 10 minutes for questions.
- Narutoshi Hibino, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of surgery, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, will discuss: Use of 3D printing for generating multicellular cardiac and vascular tissues.
- Douglas Robinson, Ph.D., professor of cell biology, medicine, pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, chemical and biomolecular engineering, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine will discuss: Cellular form: The basis of healthy function.
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Zoltan Arany, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, will discuss: Metabolic mechanisms and treatment of insulin resistance.
- Samia Mora, M.D., associate professor of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, will discuss: The primary factors needed for primary prevention.
Lunch (Feinstone Auditorium)
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oral Abstract Competition (Sommer Auditorium)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Top pre-reviewed abstracts from 60 submitted abstracts are presented for an award competition. Two from basic research, and two from clinical/translational research are selected. Only grad students, fellows, and post docs can compete. Prizes are awarded at the end of the meeting, courtesy of the Blumenthal Family Foundation. The following finalists have been selected to present:
- Kaustubha Patil: Studying the pathophysiology of pulseless electrical activity in a novel swine model
- Seamus Whelton: Modeling the relationship between coronary artery calcium (CAC) and cause-specific mortality as a function of age
- Klitos Konstantinidis: CaMKII, methionine oxidation and aortic aneurysms
- Thorsten Leucker: Serum PCSK9, a nexus for HIV induced coronary artery endothelial dysfunction
- Aditya Bhonsale: Cardiac phenotype and long term prognosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia patients with late presentation
Poster session (Feinstone Auditorium)
2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
All 60 posters are presented, and attendees get to meet with the researchers and learn what is actively being pursued at JHMI in CV research fields. Of these, a total of 16 have been pre-selected based on prior grading scores from the internet upload to be in competition for prizes. Real-time judging takes place, and the top three posters from the two primary different categories — basic science and clinical/translation/epi research — are determined based on judging scores.
Award Ceremony and Meeting Closing (Feinstone Auditorium)
4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.