Principal Investigator Name: Wendy Post, MD, MS
Study Coordinator Name: Dr. Imene Benayache
Study Coordinator (410) 614-2488
Study Coordinator email@example.com
Study Short Title: MESA
Study Long Title: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
IRB Number: 99-11-10-06
Funding Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (No. NHLBI-HC-08-11)
Summary of Trial:
- To determine characteristics related to progression of subclinical to clinical cardiovascular disease.
- To determine characteristics related to progression of subclinical cardiovascular disease.
- To assess ethnic, age, and gender differences in subclinical disease prevalence and risk of progression and clinical cardiovascular disease.
- To describe the interrelationships of newly identified factors, established risk factors, and subclinical disease, and to determine the incremental predictive value for clinical cardiovascular disease of newly identified factors and subclinical disease measures above that of established risk factors.
- To develop population-based methods, suitable for application in future screening and intervention studies, for characterizing the risk of asymptomatic person
- Study Website: http://www.mesa-nhlbi.org/ParticipantWebsite/default.aspx
Inclusions: Age between 45 and 84
African-American, Chinese-American, Caucasian, or Hispanic persons who live within the geographic boundary of the field center at Johns Hopkins University and who do not meet any of the exclusion criteria.
- Age younger than 45 or older than 84 years
- Physician-diagnosed heart attack
- Physician-diagnosed angina or taking nitroglycerin
- Physician-diagnosed stroke or TIA
- Physician-diagnosed heart failure
- Current atrial fibrillation
- Having undergone procedures related to cardiovascular disease (CABG, angioplasty, valve replacement, pacemaker or defibrillator implantation, any surgery on the heart or arteries)
- Active treatment for cancer
- Any serious medical condition which would prevent long-term participation
- Weight >300 pounds
- Cognitive inability as judged by the interviewer
- Living in a nursing home or on the waiting list for a nursing home
- Plans to leave the community within five years
- Language barrier (speaks other than English, Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin)
- Chest CT scan in the past year
Clinical Trial Site:
Johns Hopkins University
925 Fell Street, 2nd Floor
Baltimore, MD 21231
Compensation for Participating? none
Start Date: 2000 (Currently closed to enrollment. Follow-up of currently enrolled participants only).
Anticipated End Date: 2014