I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The Center for Vascular Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute focuses on the non-invasive diagnosis and treatment of all problems involving the circulatory system outside of the heart. These problems may involve:
- arteries, which deliver blood from the heart to the tissues
- veins, which deliver blood back to the heart
- lymphatic system, which transports lymph fluid back to the circulation
Commonly encountered conditions in the field of Vascular Medicine include:
- peripheral arterial disease / claudication - blockages in the leg arteries; may cause pain with walking
- carotid artery stenosis - blockages in the neck arteries; may lead to a stroke
- renal artery stenosis - blockages in the kidney arteries; may contribute to high blood pressure and/or chronic kidney disease
- abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) - a bulging of the aorta that may cause it to rupture
- venous problems such as deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and chronic venous insufficiency
- Raynaud’s, vasculitis, lymphedema, and other less common vascular conditions
History of Vascular Medicine at Johns Hopkins
For decades, Johns Hopkins has been on the cutting-edge of vascular medicine research. In 2007, the Center for Vascular Medicine was founded in the Heart and Vascular Institute, recognizing the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of vascular disease. This is critical because it is often associated with heart disease and cerebrovascular disease.
Non-Invasive Diagnosis: Vascular Imaging
Vascular ultrasound remains the cornerstone for the non-invasive diagnosis of vascular disease. Accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL), our non-invasive vascular ultrasound laboratory at the Johns Hopkins Center for Vascular Medicine offers a comprehensive range of vascular ultrasound services including:
- Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS)
- Carotid ultrasound
- Abdominal aortic ultrasound
- Venous and arterial ultrasounds
Non-invasive vascular evaluations are available at Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute locations throughout the metropolitan Baltimore area. Request an appointment with a vascular specialist.