Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Director, Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program
Dr. Graham has a long history of research in the area of perinatal brain injury that involves both basic science and clinical work. Past research includes neuronal cell membrane Na+,K+-ATPase damage following hypoxia-ischemia in animal models; risk factors for seizures and periventricular white matter in the neonate; and the relationship between severe intrapartum metabolic acidosis, electronic fetal heart rate monitoring and neurologic morbidity and mortality. Current research involves using biomarkers measured in cord blood at birth and in neonatal serum during the 1st week of life to identify neonates at risk for neurodevelopmental abnormalities and to follow the efficacy of new therapies such as whole body cooling for hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy.
1. Stewart A, Graham E. Preterm Birth: An Overview of Risk Factors and Obstetrical Management. De Disabil Res Rev. In Press 2011.
2. Northington FJ, Chavez-Valdez R, Graham EM, Razdan S, Gauda EB, Martin LJ. Necrostatin decreases oxidative damage, inflammation, and injury after neonatal HI. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2011;31:178-89.
3. Bembea MM, Savage W, Strouse JJ, Schwartz JM, Graham E, Thompson CB, Everett A. Glial fibrillary acidic protein as a brain injury biomarker in children undergoing extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Pediatr Crit Car Med 2011;12:572-9.
4. Al-Hussein HA, Graham EM, Tekes A, Huisman TA. Pre and postnatal imaging of a congenital hepatoblastoma. Fetal Diagn Ther 2011;30:157159.
5. Ennen CS, Huisman TA, Savage WJ, Northington FJ, Jennings JM, Everett AD, Graham EM. Glial fibrillary acidic protein as a biomarker for neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy treated with whole body cooling. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;205:251.e1-7. 2010.
6. Elliott C, Warrick PA, Graham EM, Hamilton EF. Graded classification of fetal heart rate tracings: association with neonatal metabolic acidosis and neurologic morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;202:258.e1-8.
7. Figueiredo G, Pinto PS, Graham EM, Huisman TA. Congenital giant cervical teratoma: pre- and postnatal imaging. Fetal Diagn Ther 2010;27:231-2. 2009
8. Ruis KA, Lehmann CU, Northington FJ, Lin DDM, Graham EM. Neonatal Brain Imaging and the Identification of Metabolic Acidemia and Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2009;22:823-8.
9. Donohue PK, Boss RD, Shepard J, Graham EM, Allen MC. Intervention at the Border of Viability: Perspective Over a Decade. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009;163:783-8.
10. Maleki Z, Bailis AJ, Argani CH, Askin FB, Graham EM. Periventricular Leukomalacia and Placental Histopathologic Abnormalities. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114:115-20