Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service
The Johns Hopkins Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service is a world leader in surgery and oncology care for women diagnosed with gynecologic cancer. Our approach and care philosophy is to treat the whole patient, not just her cancer, and to focus on innovative treatments and surgical approaches, like robotic surgery, single-site laparoscopy, sentinel lymph node procedures and radical debulking surgery. In addition, we possess clinical expertise in preventive oncology, helping women who are at high risk for ovarian, uterine and other gynecologic cancers, and in the surgical management of complex benign gynecologic conditions, including fibroids, ovarian masses and cysts.
Working closely with the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service offers a leading team of world-renowned surgeons and skilled, compassionate cancer experts. We understand that a new cancer diagnosis can be a stressful time for you and your loved ones. Our goal is to support you on your journey to wellness and survivorship through our exceptional clinical expertise, cutting-edge treatments, and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer care.
Conditions We Treat
Find out more about the reproductive tract cancers and benign gynecologic conditions we treat.
Your Care Team
Meet the expert doctors, nurses and support staff of the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service.
Explore Our Research
Explore the latest research from our gynecologic oncology team.
Cervical Cancer | Ashley's Story
Ashley was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer when she was 29 weeks pregnant with her first child. Watch and learn how experts at Johns Hopkins were able to save her life and the life of her unborn son.
A Personalized and Unparalleled Approach to Care
Gynecologic oncologists have specialized training in surgical and medical oncology. They provide a multi-tiered, personalized approach to care using cutting-edge surgical care and clinical trials, as well as supporting the emotional and lifestyle changes that accompany cancer. At the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service, this approach includes:
- Prioritizing You and Your Care: At Johns Hopkins, we strive to see patients with a new cancer diagnosis within three to seven business days of referral. Additionally, if surgery or treatment is required, our appointment-to-surgery interval is approximately one to two weeks. For more information on how to make an appointment with a physician at the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service, please call 410-955-8240.
- Patient Satisfaction and Cancer Survival Rates Above the National Average: Our national patient satisfaction ratings reflect our position as one of the top-performing centers at Johns Hopkins. Additionally, studies show that women with gynecologic cancer who are treated by a gynecologic oncologist experience better survival than those not treated by a cancer specialist. With cancer survival outcomes above the national average, Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service specialists offer patients the opportunity to have an excellent quality of life and better survival outcomes.
- Ovarian Cancer Center of Excellence: The Johns Hopkins Ovarian Cancer Center of Excellence provides the best and most advanced care possible for our patients with ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancers. Through multidisciplinary clinical expertise and scientific discovery, our mission is to conquer ovarian cancer and improve the lives of women with this disease.
- Center for Rare Gynecologic Cancers: The Johns Hopkins Center for Rare Gynecologic Cancers is one of the leading programs in the nation in treatment and outcomes for women with uncommon tumor types, including low-grade serous ovarian carcinoma, clear cell and mucinous carcinoma of the ovary, uterine leiomyosarcoma, vulvar melanoma and other rare malignancies of the female reproductive tract. Learn about our state-of-the-art treatments, as well as our innovative research and clinical trials.
- The Kelly Gynecologic Cancer Survivorship Center: The Kelly Gynecologic Cancer Survivorship Center is one of the only survivorship programs in the nation to offer care exclusively for women diagnosed with gynecologic malignancies. Discover how we can provide you with an individualized survivorship care plan that will address side effects of cancer treatment and prioritize wellness and quality of life.
News and Events
Ovarian Cancer: HMT Extends Survival
—MedPage Today interviews physicians, including Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., about the need for more customized cancer treatments, particularly for ovarian and peritoneal cancers.
Health Watch for Below the Belt Cancers
—Rebecca Stone, M.D., discusses risk factors and treatment for "below the belt" cancers that afflict women — ovarian, fallopian tube, uterine, cervical, vaginal and vulvar. She also discusses the Stride and Thrive Below the Belt 5K/1K Run/Walk that will be hosted on May 15, 2016 by the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service.
7 Signs of Ovarian Cancer You Might Be Ignoring
—Ovarian cancer is known as a silent disease, but there are often signs leading up to diagnosis. Reader's Digest interviews physicians, including Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., about these signs and what you should look for.
Learn More about the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service
Minimally Invasive Surgery for Gynecologic Cancer | Q&A
Dr. Edward Tanner discusses the many benefits of minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of gynecologic cancers and his pioneering research in sentinel lymph node biopsy and single-site robotic surgery.
Inside the Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship
As one of the strongest gynecologic oncology programs in the country, the F.J. Montz Fellowship has an excellent track record in training superb surgeons, gynecologic oncologists and clinician-scientists, many of whom have gone onto successful academic careers at prestigious universities around the country. Learn more about our program.