The first Division of Reproductive Endocrinology was established at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions by Dr. Georgeanna Seegar Jones in 1939. Dr. Georgeanna Jones became the first full-time gynecological endocrinologist at a medical school. Dr. Howard W. Jones, Jr., one of the foremost pelvic surgeons of his generation, established an international reputation in reparative and reconstructive surgery of the female genital tract. Dr. Howard W. Jones, Jr.'s skill in surgery and Dr. Georgeanna Seegar Jones' expertise in endocrinology made them a highly respected, well-rounded team that worked closely with residents and fellows to provide an expanding knowledge of endocrinology before a formalized sub-specialty training program in this area was established by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Past graduates of The Johns Hopkins training program, before it was certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, includes Drs. Theodore Baramki, Division Director of Reproductive Endocrinology at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland, Barry Verkauf, former Division Director of Reproductive Endocrinology at the University of South Florida, and Paul Katayama, Director of the Wisconsin Fertility Center.
A formalized training program in Reproductive Endocrinology, approved by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, was begun at Hopkins in 1973 and Dr. Anne Wentz was the first individual to receive this fellowship training. When Drs. Georgeanna and Howard Jones moved to Norfolk, Virginia to join the Eastern Virginia Medical School a Board-approved program in Reproductive Endocrinology was absent from Hopkins from 1978-80. In 1981 a new Board-approved program in Reproductive Endocrinology was begun at Hopkins under the Directorship of Dr. John Rock who remained in this position until he resigned in 1991 to become Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. In March 1991, Dr. Howard A. Zacur assumed the Directorship of the fellowship program which received Board approval in 1992.