Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Application Process/Selection Criteria
Applying to the Johns Hopkins Gyn/Ob Residency Program
- The Application deadline is November 1st
- Applicants must submit an ERAS Application and be registered to participate in the Match through NRMP
- We do not mail application packets or program brochures
- US Medical School Graduates: submit the ERAS application materials to your medical school Dean's Office
- Foreign Medical School Graduates: submit your application materials to the ECFMG
- Our 2017 Match Interview Dates are 11/4/16, 11/18/16 and 12/2/16.
- We do not have minimum USMLE scores, but we require passing scores.
- We do not require US Clinical experience for FMGs.
- We do not have a requirement concerning year of graduation.
- We accept only J-1 visas. We do not accept H1B visas.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as early as possible. Only ERAS applications will be considered. Please do not submit applications via fax, mail, or email.
- We offer interviews on a rolling basis. If you receive an invitation, please rsvp as soon as possible. Our interviews will be in November, December and January. (specific dates TBA) Our interview spots are very limited and they are filled quickly. We maintain waiting lists and will do our best to offer an interview if a space becomes available. We will not be adding any additional interview dates.
- We will have 9 interns in the 2015 class.
- The Department participates in the NRMP. Applicants are required to be registered with both the NRMP and ERAS in order to participate in the Match. Please also be sure to indicate on your ERAS application that you are registered with NRMP.
- We require, in addition to the MSPE (Dean's Letter), THREE letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the OB/GYN Chair. You may submit four letters if you wish.
All applications received through ERAS will be reviewed.. The decision to invite an applicant for a required interview will be based on a review of the following factors in combination:
- Medical School and reputation.
- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 (if available) scores- passing scores are required.
- Elections to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society, if applicable.
- Medical School transcript.
- Strength of Dean's Letter and three letters of recommendation (an Ob/Gyn Chair's letter is required).
- Research activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to the field.
The interview process will consist of:
- A detailed program review conducted by the Program Director.
- Interviews with two faculty members and one resident and a brief meeting with the Program Director or the Chair or the Vice-Chair.
- A facility tour.
- Luncheon with resident group.
- An informal social gathering the night of the interviews (not the night before) at the home of one of our residents.
We start our interview days in late morning to allow for morning travel. When scheduled for an interview, we will provide a list of local hotels that give our visitors special rates. Most hotels are located only a few miles from the hospital, a short taxi ride away. The Johns Hopkins Hospital is also a stop on the subway system, only one or two stops from the Inner Harbor area.