Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Specific Objectives and Areas of Emphasis
- To train individuals to formulate, independently, a research question, and design and conduct a rigorous study to answer that question
- To help individuals acquire the necessary methodological expertise across several disciplines (e.g., behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, disease prevention, bioethics, policy) necessary for future investigative work
- To expose individuals with a clinical background to the broad array of behavioral sciences, and to expose individuals with a behavioral science background to the intricacies of heart and vascular diseases
- To train individuals to present and publish the results of their scholarly work
- To teach individuals to appraise, critically, the scientific literature
- To help individuals identify a focus for future research and scholarly work and to develop special investigative expertise related to it.
- To train individuals to write a grant proposal according to the guidelines of the NIH or other potential funding agencies
Areas of Special Emphasis
- Behavioral, cultural, psychosocial, and economic factors and mechanisms in cardiovascular health and illness
- Risk factors: identification and modification
- Minority health
- Community-based participatory research
- Addressing gaps and disparities in health status
- Women’s health
- High blood pressure: prevention and control
- Novel risk factors and mechanisms
- Ethical issues
- Translational of research into practice and policy
- Methodological issues, particularly in community-based trials