Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
The majority of care for older adults is provided by family and friends. These caregivers most often are also working, caring for children as well as the older adult in their life.
Caregiving can be overwhelming. We offer some websites to provide answers to questions about long term care, Insurance benefits, Transportation and driving, Medications, Management of chronic illnesses and more.
- American Gericatrics Society
Aging and Health A to Z offers information on topics from Advance directives to Women’s Health. AGS Tip sheets offers easy to read information sheets on topics for caregivers, Healthy Aging, Safety, and vaccinations and medications.
National Association of professional geriatric care managers. Care managers assist with assessment and planning, problem solving, education and policy, and family caregiving.
Elder care locator provides links to local area agencies on aging, information and assistance about long term care, elder abuse prevention, health insurance, legal services and transportation and driving.
National Association of area agencies on aging. Provides Guide to Benefits Program, and links to local area agencies on aging
National Institutes of Aging “Age Pages” offers information on various topics affecting older adults including sleep, alcohol use, arthritis, diabetes, falls, fatigue, hypertension, hyperthermia, older drivers, osteoporosis and shingles.
Health Care Professionals
- POGOe - a portal affording medical educators access to a wide range of educational products to integrate geriatrics content into your teaching.
- GeriaSims - interactive "virtual patient" simulations on issues encountered in the care of older patients; intended for physicians, residents and fellows, and medical students in the clinical years
- Geriatrics and Gerontology Education and Research Program (GGEAR) - a state funded program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore initiated to prepare Maryland's health care professionals to care for frail, older individuals and to sponsor research projects which will ultimately produce interventions on behalf of this population
- Geri-Ed Programs - a program at the University of Maryland Baltimore web site provides geriatric web based educational materials.
- Hospital at Home - an innovative health care model that can provide hospital-level care in a patient's home as a full substitute for acute hospital care. While most caregivers instinctively rush sick seniors to the hospital, this service provides a viable, safe, and less expensive alternative.
- GeroNurseOnline.org - an evidence-based online resource for nurses in clinical and educational settlings from The Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, New York University College of Nursing.
- U.S. Administration on Aging
- National Center for Elder Abuse
- Meals on Wheels Association of America
- The Mental Health Association of Maryland
Other GEC Websites
- National Association of Geriatric Education Centers
- Stanford Geriatric Education Center
- Midwestern Geriatric Education Center (MidGEC)
- Wisconsin Geriatric Education Center
- Western Reserve Geriatric Education Center (WRGEC)
- Arkansas Geriatric Education Center (AGEC)
- Texas Consortium of Geriatric Education Centers
- Rhode Island Geriatric Education Center
- Geriatric Education Center of Pennsylvania
- Arizona Geriatric Education Center
- Geriatric Education Center of Michigan
- Nevada Geriatric Education Center
- Central Plains Geriatric Education Center
- New Mexico Geriatric Education Center