I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Share this page: More
Minutes: February 20, 2013
417th MEETING OF THE FACULTY SENATE
3:00 pm, Wednesday, February 20th, 2013
School of Medicine Administration, Board Room 103
PRESENT: Drs., Akpek, Barone, Carroll, Chanmugam, Comfort, Crino, Dlhosh, Fine, Gonzalez-Fernandez, Gottesman, J. Green, James Herman, Ishii, Macura, Nyhan, Pavlovich, Pluznick, Shuler, Solomon, Swartz, Taverna, Wade, Williams, Zachara
Mmes. L. Smith,
Messrs: Bilezikjian, Mandell, Rini,
ABSENT: Drs. Ahn, Ahuja, R. Green, Joseph Herman, Keefer, Kondo, Matunis, Molinaro, Poynton, Puttgen, Resar, Srikumaran, Tufaro, Wolfgang
Messrs: Brennen, Hall, Huddle, Johnson, Kumer,
GUESTS: L. Jones, M. Foy, J Lewin, A. Frank, B. Fivush
- Approval of the minutes
The minutes of the 416th meeting were approved as distributed.
- Comments from Chair Dr. Ishii
- Lisa reported that there had been a special meeting to discuss the potential threat of sequestration to JHU. It is projected that JHU may take a $180 million hit, and JHM $80 million.
- The EPIC rollout continues and is proceeding on schedule.
- Michael Bloomberg has made a gift to the university of $1 billion which will provide for 10 new chairs per year for the next 5 years.
- If you receive an email from the Clinical Practice Association class="msoIns"requesting your NPI user ID and password please respond.
- Planning for the Biennial to be held on June 6-8th is continuing.
- Jonathan Lewin, MD, Director for Radiology & Radiological Science department, was introduced to go over the process of Hopkins Medicine Strategic Planning. Dr. Lewin, along with John Colmers, VP of Health Care Transformation & Strategic Planning, have been leading the strategy efforts for the last several months and have a refined draft of the 6 mission imperatives and associated goals were shared with us. The plan in its current form grew from the documents developed by faculty and leaders on the Subject Matter Expert (SME) groups last year, and has further evolved after returning to leadership and the Board of Trustees. The plan will serve as the Hopkins Medicine blueprint moving forward. As such, it is vital that faculty continue to contribute to its development and is fully informed of the plan moving forward.
- Andrew B. Frank, Special Advisor to the President on Economic Development for EBDI/Eager Park was introduced and shared the progress of 10 years later for the East Baltimore Revitalization Initiative. Over the course of a decade, an 80 acre section of East Baltimore is shedding its physical structure and emerging as an economically and socially vibrant community that will have new affordable housing (range of $175,000-$220,000), new business such as retail and a hotel, new streetscapes, new schoolrooms, and thousands of new jobs. It will also generate numerous business opportunities for Baltimore City firms and residents to include the already established Cuban Revolution restaurant, 7 Eleven and Harbor Bank. Another possibility may be to have a upgraded Walgreens.
The original partners all along have been The Annie E. Casey Foundation and Johns Hopkins that have both decided that the East Baltimore revitalization project was worthy of its involvement if – and only if – other partners were willing to re-craft its primary objective to include not only economic development, but human capital development and community building as well.
The incentive with the Live Where you Work Program for Middle East community is $17,000.00 toward the purchase of a home. Also the plan has included to have an early childhood center completed in the next 6 months available for Hopkins Staff. Click here for a copy of the brochure http://www.scienceparkjohnshopkins.net/sites/default/files/2012-11-29%20Final%20Brochure.pdf
- Open Discussion- regarding the Remedy Health proposal began with Sean Traverna and his strong concern expressed by his faculty in Pharmacology. This discussion continued until after 5:30. A consensus was not reached which seems to be class="msoIns" the case with other groups. This will be shared with the ABMF and JHM3.0 about the matter and inquire as to whether a Town Hall meeting or similar venue is planned for further broad discussion.
- Chair’s Wrap Up - Dr. Ishii expressed in the meeting and in an email after the meeting, to the group to please make every effort to send a representative from your department on your behalf if you are unable to attend a meeting. Also, please always feel welcome and expected to return to the Faculty Senate thoughts or concerns expressed by your faculty when sharing meeting topics.
There being no further business this meeting was adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Future Faculty Senate meetings:
All meetings will be held in the School of Medicine Board Room (SOM 103), 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
March 20th, 2013
April 17th, 2013
May 8th, 2013
June 19th, 2013