Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
- When is your deadline for NEW applications?
- How many letters of recommendation do I need to submit?
- Do you require a Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE)?
- Do all of my letters of recommendation need to be from emergency physicians?
- Is there a maximum number of letters of recommendation you will accept?
- How will I be notified if I am offered an interview?
- When will my application be considered complete? How does this status affect my interview offer?
- How are interview dates assigned?
- Do you offer a travel stipend for interviews?
- Do you provide overnight housing for interviews?
- Are there any activities the night before my interview?
- How do I sign up for a visiting rotation at Johns Hopkins?
When is your deadline for NEW applications?
November 15th. We cannot accept applications after that date unless there are extenuating circumstances. If that is the case, you should contact our residency coordinator to discuss your situation.
Do all of my letters of recommendation need to be from emergency physicians?
No. At least one letter MUST be from an EM physician. We encourage you to ask for letters from faculty with whom you have worked closely and who will best be able to assess your clinical and/or research abilities. However, it is recommended that two of your letters come from emergency physicians. Again, the SLOE is strongly encouraged.
Is there a maximum number of letters of recommendation you will accept?
ERAS allows as many letters of recommendation as you feel necessary; however, no more than four letters may be sent to any individual program.
- ERAS application
- Personal statement
- 3 Letters of Recommendation, MINIMUM of ONE from an EM physician; 2 EM letters recommended (SLOE strongly encouraged)
- Dean’s Letter
How are interview dates assigned?
When you receive an offer by email you will be given a list of interview date options with instructions to email us your top three choices. We cannot guarantee the availability of the dates you request, as each day has a limited number of spots available. We will, however, do our best to accommodate your schedule.
Do you provide overnight housing for interviews?
Many of our residents have offered to host applicants in their homes overnight, and we will provide contact information for those residents. In addition, we provide a list of area hotels that offer discounts for visitors to Johns Hopkins.
Are there any activities the night before my interview?
Each Thursday evening during the interview season, there is a casual gathering for residents and applicants. You will receive information about the gathering when we confirm your interview date.
How do I sign up for a visiting rotation at Johns Hopkins?
In order to schedule a visiting elective at Johns Hopkins, you need to contact our School of Medicine Registrar at 410-955-3080 or email@example.com.
The Johns Hopkins Department of Emergency Medicine Residency Program