Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Boston University/B.A., Geophysics and Planetary Science (2005)
Towson University/M.S., Health System Preparedness and Homeland Security Management (2009)
Sauer is a research associate in the Department of Emergency Medicine and a doctoral candidate in health and public policy in the Johns Hopkins Department of Health Policy and Management, where she studies quality of aid in response to disasters and the effects of disasters on health care infrastructure. She joined the department in 2005 and became a research faculty member in 2011. Sauer is also the program manager for the National Center for the Study of Preparedness and Catastrophic Event Response, a Homeland Security Center of Excellence. She is the current chair for the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine’s Disaster Interest Group and the co-director of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine disaster course.
She is a core team leader on the Johns Hopkins Go Team, a deployable medical asset. She has worked remotely and on the ground for several disaster responses, including Hurricane Katrina, the 2009 California wildfires, the Haiti earthquake, the Pakistan floods and, more recently, the Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa.
Sauer has spoken both nationally and internationally on a variety of disaster medicine topics. She has also participated in the U.S. Navy’s Continuing Promise missions in 2010 and 2011 and its Pacific Partnership mission in 2012. She has authored and co-authored numerous publications in disaster medicine, public health preparedness and surge capacity metrics. She sits on the editorial board of the American Journal of Disaster Medicine.
- Disaster impact assessments
- Volunteerism in disasters
- Quality of aid in disaster response
- Hospital surge capacity
- Kelen G.D., Sauer L.M., Clattenburg E., Lewis-Newby M. Pediatric Disposition Classification (Reverse-Triage) System to Create Surge Capacity. Dis Med and Pub Health Prep J. Epub 2015 Mar 27
- Jalali S., Sauer L.M. Improving Care for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patients in the Emergency Department. Annals Emerg Med. 2015 March. Epub ahead of print.
- Epstein J.M., Sauer L.M., Chelen J., Hatna E., Parker J., Rothman R.E., Rubinson L. Infectious disease: Mobilizing Ebola survivors to curb the epidemic. Nature. 2014 Dec 18;516(7531):323-5
- Sauer L.M., Catlett C., Tosatto R., Kirsch T.D. The utility of and risks associated with the use of spontaneous volunteers in disaster response: a survey. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2014 Feb;8(1):65-9.