TeamSTEPPS Master Training Course
Teamwork failures contribute to a large proportion of patient-related harm—up to twice the magnitude of harm due to technical mistakes or issues of clinical competence. Team training programs have demonstrated strong impact on teamwork and safety culture and can serve as a fundamental strategy for reducing preventable harm.
This course equips patient safety leaders with the skills to develop, implement, evaluate and sustain team training programs in their facilities using TeamSTEPPS©—Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety. Developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Department of Defense Patient Safety Program, TeamSTEPPS has rapidly become a virtual industry standard for teamwork training.
TeamSTEPPS Program Dates
- To be announced. Please email us to be notified of the next course dates.
Our Training Program
This program’s ultimate goal is to help your teams to develop an effective, sustainable team training program that is tailored to your organization. Components of the program are:
- An introductory live webinar covering the fundamental elements of teamwork and teamwork training, as well as how to build an effective team of trainers.
- A two-day, in-person workshop covering teamwork competencies, implementation of team training and evaluation planning. Teams bring their data—such as safety culture survey scores and adverse event reports—to devise plans for their workplaces. With roughly 30 participants per workshop, teams have ample time to mature their implementation planning and receive feedback from Armstrong Institute faculty and peers.
Optional Phone Consultation. For an additional fee of $250/hour, your team may seek individualized coaching and consulting from Armstrong Institute faculty.
Who Should Attend
Each organization must send at least three participants to this course. We recommend that you bring a multidisciplinary team with representation from key stakeholders—for example, physicians, nurses, pharmacy, technicians and administrators—as appropriate for your organization.
Registration and Costs
- Standard registration: $400/participant (minimum three participants)
- Johns Hopkins Medicine staff: No cost. Seats limited. Email AILearning@jhmi.edu to indicate your interest in this course and the names of others in your entity who would also attend.
Registration fee includes instructional materials, breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.
Please see our cancellation and refund policy.
Email AILearning@jhmi.edu or call 410-637-7170.