Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Vice President and Executive Medical Director
Johns Hopkins Medicine International
Professor and Former Director
Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 North Wolfe Street Blalock 1415
Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Ulatowski is one of the world’s leading investigators into the regulatory mechanisms of cerebral blood flow and oxygen delivery to the brain. His research included the development and application of invasive and noninvasive techniques for monitoring brain function, fluid management, and sedation in patients with brain injury, use of novel oxygen carriers in blood, and new techniques and therapies for stroke.
A new area of exploration for Dr. Ulatowski is that of health service research toward the design of safer systems surrounding the care of perioperative/periprocedural patients. Anesthesiologists, intensive care physicians, and pain physicians have led the way in creating safe environments in individual ORs, ICU rooms, and interventional pain procedure rooms. The next generation of perioperative physicians will create even safer environments around OR suites, ICUs, and pain clinics to ensure better preparation, safe passage of patients, to prevent even the occasional mistake made by well-meaning practitioners. They will use information technologies and analytical business tools to improve outcomes (medical, financial, human resource, and patient satisfaction). Dr. Ulatowski is helping to develop a new generation of perioperative safety experts and disseminate this knowledge around the world.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Academy Neurology and American Neurological Association
- Society of Neurosurgical Anesthesia and Critical Care
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- Maryland State Medical Society
- Society for Education in Anesthesia
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Society of Academic Anesthesiology Associations
- Ulatowski JA, Bucci E, Razynska A, Traystman RJ, Koehler RC. Cerebral blood flow during hypoxic hypoxia with plasma-based hemoglobin at reduced hematocrit. Am J Physiol 274:H1933-42, 1998.
- Ulatowski JA, Oja JM, Suarez JI, Kauppinen RA, Traystman RJ, van Zijl PC. In vivo determination of absolute cerebral blood volume using hemoglobin as a natural contrast agent: an MRI study using altered arterial carbon dioxide tension. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 19(7):809-17, 1999.
- Hillis AE, Ulatowski JA, Barker PB, Torbey M, Ziai W, Beauchamp NJ, Oh S, Wityk RJ. A pilot randomized trial of induced blood pressure elevation: effects on function and focal perfusion in acute and subacute stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 16(3):236-46, 2003.
- Ziai WC, Varelas PN, Zeger SL, Mirski MA, Ulatowski JA. Neurologic intensive care resource use after brain tumor surgery: an analysis of indications and alternative strategies. Crit Care Med 31(12):2782-7, 2003.
- Bhardwaj A, Ulatowski JA. Hypertonic saline solutions in brain injury. Curr Opin Crit Care 10(2):126-31, Review, 2004.
- Makary MA, Holzmueller CG, Thompson DA, Rowen L, Heitmiller ES, Maley WR, Black JH, Stegner K, Freischlag JA, Ulatowski JA, and Pronovost PJ. Operating room debriefings. Jt Comm J Qual and Saf 32(7):407–10, 2006.
Laboratory Members/Key Associates
Raymond C. Koehler, PhD
Peter Pronovost, MD, PhD, FCCM
Julie Freischlag, MD