I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
Pediatric Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, and Pain Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Bloomberg Children's Center, Suite 6349A
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 2l287
Dr. Constance Monitto is currently involved in both clinical and basic science research. In her basic science studies she is assessing the impact of epigenetic gene regulation on the development of resistance to chemotherapeutic agents in cancer. She is identifying genes that are silenced or downregulated in drug-resistant cell lines and comparing those to their drug-sensitive, isogeneic counterparts by microarray assessment of gene expression followed by pharmacologic unmasking of methylated genes using the compound 5-deoxyazacytidine. Candidate genes are further assessed by siRNA gene silencing. Her clinical research involves pediatric pain management. She and her coworkers are assessing the impact of low-dose opioid antagonism on opioid-related side effects (e.g., nausea and vomiting, pruritis). They also are completing analysis of data obtained regarding current methods of pediatric pain management across the country.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
- Xiao Y, Monitto CL, Minhas KM, Sidransky D. Lactoferrin downregulates G1 cyclin-dependent kinases during growth arrest of head and neck cancer cells. Clin Canc Res 10:8683–6, 2004.
- Hoque MO, Soria JC, Woo J, Lee T, Lee J, Jang SJ, Udaphyay S, Trink B, Monitto C, Desmaze C, Mao L. Sidransky D, Moon C. Aquaporin 1 is overexpressed in lung cancer and stimulates NIH-3T3 cell proliferation and anchorage-independent growth. Am J Pathol 168:1345–53, 2006.
- Nelson KL, Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Monitto C. Patient controlled analgesia by proxy: results from a national survey. Anesthesiology 107:A685, 2007.
- Nelson KL, Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Monitto C. Pediatric pain management – results of a national survey of pediatric anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 107:A688, 2007.
- Singh D, Gross RM, Monitto C, Heitmiller E, Njoku D. In-depth analysis of a subset of POCA registrants: impact on strategies for successful resuscitation. Anesthesiology 107:A1934, 2007.
Laboratory Members/Key Associates
Affiliated with David Sidransky, MD (Department of Otorhinolaryngology)