ACCM Achievements, August 2014
Dr. Njoku Receives Inaugural SPA Lifetime Achievement Award
Dolores B. Njoku, MD has been nominated to serve on the FAER (Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research) Board of Directors. FAER's mission is to advance medicine through education and research in anesthesiology. FAER provides guidance and resources to physician investigators and medical educators focusing on anesthesiology-related issues in the sciences of clinical practice and disease biology.
Dr. Yaster Receives Inaugural SPA Lifetime Achievement Award
Myron Yaster, MD is the Inaugural recipient of the Society for Pediatric Anesthesiology (SPA) Lifetime Achievement Award. He will be honored for this at the upcoming SPA meeting which dovetails with the ASA Meeting.
Dr. Yaster has made innumerable important contributions to Pediatric Anesthesiology. Foremost among these has been his contribution to the understanding and management of pain in the Pediatric cohort. His contributions are further illustrated by his influence on and mentoring of the many people who have come through our training program. The same applies to faculty members, especially Jr. Faculty members in the Pediatric division. Indeed for the scientific program at this year's SPA meeting, four of the five sessions are being moderated by individuals who are either here or have been trainee's/faculty in our Department.
Dr. Cohen receives John Bonica Award from ASRA
Steven P. Cohen, MD is this year's recipient of the John Bonica Award from ASRA (American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine). This is awarded to individuals who have made seminal contributions to the field.
Dr. Aslakson receives AAHPM Award
Rebecca Aslakson, MD, PhD is the 2015 recipient of the AAHPM Early Career Investigator Award. The AAHPM (American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine), its goals and the work of its members represent a logical extension of the work undertaken by Intensivists. Rebecca’s work and that of others exemplify, appropriately, the expanding role of Anesthesiologist/Intensivist.
Dr. Pronovost Named to Modern Healthcare's 100 Most Influential People List
Modern Healthcare, a leading industry publication, has named patient safety expert Peter J. Pronovost, M.D., Ph.D., to this year's 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare list. The list recognizes individuals deemed by their peers and experts as leaders in the industry.
Chosen for his national and international contributions to quality and patient safety, Pronovost is most known for his development of a scientifically proven checklist for reducing deadly bloodstream infections associated with the insertion and use of central lines to deliver drugs and take blood samples from critically ill patients. The director of the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, Pronovost leads efforts that align multiple stakeholders, tapping each person's unique strengths to achieve common goals guided by universal measures.
"Preventable harm continues to be a leading cause of death in our nation. We have come a long way in our patient safety efforts, but there is still more that we need to do," says Pronovost. "It humbles me to be recognized by Modern Healthcare as a leader, and I hope my efforts and those of Johns Hopkins Medicine continue to encourage the next generation of physicians and hospital leaders interested in making quality and safety a central theme in their careers."
Yun Guan, MD, PhD, received funding from the Blaustein Pain Research Fund for his project titled "Spinal Mechanisms of Pain Inhibition from Electric Stimulation of Large Afferent Fibers."
Jennifer Lee-Summers, MD, received a research grant from Covidien for her project titled "Cerebral NIRS Monitoring and Neonatal Outcomes Following Birth Asphyxia."
- Baycin-Hizal D, Gottschalk A, Jacobson E, Mai S, Wolozny D, Zhang H, Krag SS, Betenbaugh MJ. Physiologic and pathophysiologic consequences of altered sialylation and glycosylation on ion channel function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2014; in press.
- Cifra CL, Jones KL, Ascenzi J, Bhalala US, Bembea MM, Fackler JC, Miller MR. The morbidity and mortality conference as an adverse event surveillance tool in a paediatric intensive care unit. BMJ Qual Saf 2014; in press
- Cifra CL, Bembea MM, Fackler JC, Miller MR. The morbidity and mortality conference in PICUs in the United States: A national survey. Crit Care Med 2014; in press.
- Deer TR, Krames E, Mekhail N, Pope J, Leong M, Stanton-Hicks M, Golovac S, Kapural L, Alo K, Anderson J, Foreman RD, Caraway D, Narouze S, Linderoth B, Buvanendran A, Feler C, Poree L, Lynch P, McJunkin T, Swing T, Staats P, Liem L, Williams K. The appropriate use of Neurostimulation: new and evolving neurostimulation therapies and applicable treatment for chronic pain and selected disease states. Neuromodulation 2014; 17:599-615.
- Deer TR, Mekhail N, Provenzano D, Pope J, Krames E, Leong M, Levy RM, Abejon D, Buchser E, Burton A, Buvanendran A, Candido K, Caraway D, Cousins M, DeJongste M, Diwan S, Eldabe S, Gatzinsky K, Foreman RD, Hayek S, Liem P, Linderoth B, Mackey S, McDowell G, McRoberts P, Poree L, Prager J, Raso L, Rauck R, Russo M, Simpson B, Slavin K, Staats P, Stanton-Hicks M, Verrills P, Wellington J, Williams K, North R. The appropriate use of neurostimulation of the spinal cord and peripheral nervous system for the treatment of chronic pain and ischemic diseases: The Neuromodulation Appropriateness Consensus Committee. Neuromodulation 2014; 17:515-50.
- Ejaz A, Spolverato G, Kim Y, Frank SM, Pawlik TM. Identifying variations in blood use based on hemoglobin transfusion trigger and target among hepatopancreaticobiliary surgeons. J Am Coll Surg 2014; 219:217-28.
- Ephraim PL, Hill-Briggs F, Roter DL, Bone LR, Wolff JL, Lewis-Boyer L, Levine DM, Aboumatar HJ, Cooper LA, Fitzpatrick SJ, Gudzune KA, Albert MC, Monroe D, Simmons M, Hickman D, Purnell L, Fisher A, Matens R, Noronha GJ, Fagan PJ, Ramamurthi HC, Ameling JM, Charlston J, Sam TS, Carson KA, Wang NY, Crews DC, Greer RC, Sneed V, Flynn SJ, DePasquale N, Boulware LE. Improving urban African Americans' blood pressure control through multi-level interventions in the Achieving Blood Pressure Control Together (ACT) study: A randomized clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials 2014; 38:370-82.
- Geocadin RG, Murthy SB. Prognostication following cardiac arrest: do we have our patients' safety in mind?*. Crit Care Med 2014; 42:1959-61.
- Goutier JM, Holzmueller CG, Edwards KC, Klompas M, Speck K, Berenholtz SM. Strategies to enhance adoption of ventilator-associated pneumonia prevention interventions: a systematic literature review. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014; 35:998-1004.
- Guo R, Zhao Y, Zhang M, Wang Y, Shi R, Liu Y, Xu J, Wu A, Yue Y, Wu J, Guan Y, Wang Y. Down-regulation of stargazin inhibits the enhanced surface delivery of alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazole propionate receptor GluR1 subunit in rat dorsal horn and ameliorates postoperative pain. Anesthesiology 2014; in press.
- Heyer GL, Nyquist P. A novel ischemic stroke risk locus at 12q24.12 using a genome-wide association study approach. Neurology 2014; in press.
- Klompas M, Branson R, Eichenwald EC, Greene LR, Howell MD, Lee G, Magill SS, Maragakis LL, Priebe GP, Speck K, Yokoe DS, Berenholtz SM. Strategies to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia in acute care hospitals: 2014 update. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014; 35:915-36.
- Latif A, Holzmueller CG, Pronovost PJ. Evaluating safety initiatives in healthcare. Curr Anesthesiol Rep 2014; 4:100-6.
- Lee JK, Brady KM, Chung SE, Jennings JM, Whitaker EE, Aganga D, Easley RB, Heitmiller K, Jamrogowicz JL, Larson AC, Lee JH, Jordan LC, Hogue CW, Lehmann CU, Bembea MM, Hunt EA, Koehler RC, Shaffner DH. A pilot study of cerebrovascular reactivity autoregulation after pediatric cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2014.
- Mai CL, Firth PG, Ahmed Z, Rodriguez S, Yaster M. The development of a specialty: an interview with Dr. Mark C. Rogers, a pioneering pediatric intensivist. Paediatr Anaesth 2014; 24:912-8.
- Maxwell LG, Buckley GM, Kudchadkar SR, Ely E, Stebbins EL, Dube C, Morad A, Jastaniah EA, Sethna NF, Yaster M. Pain management following major intracranial surgery in pediatric patients: a prospective cohort study in three academic children's hospitals. Paediatr Anaesth 2014; in press.
- Moradiya Y, Murthy SB, Newman-Toker DE, Hanley DF, Ziai WC. Intraventricular thrombolysis in intracerebral hemorrhage requiring ventriculostomy: A decade-long real-world experience. Stroke 2014; in press.
- Pandian V, Thompson CB, Feller-Kopman DJ, Mirski MA. Development and validation of a quality-of-life questionnaire for mechanically ventilated ICU patients. Crit Care Med 2014; in press.
- Rawat N, Berenholtz S. Daily goals: not just another piece of paper*. Crit Care Med 2014; 42:1940-1.
- Rosen MA, Dietz AS, Yang T, Priebe CE, Pronovost PJ. An integrative framework for sensor-based measurement of teamwork in healthcare. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2014; in press.
- Sutter R, Kaplan PW. What to see when you are looking at confusion: a review of the neuroimaging of acute encephalopathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2014; in press.
- Yokoe DS, Anderson DJ, Berenholtz SM, Calfee DP, Dubberke ER, Ellingson KD, Gerding DN, Haas JP, Kaye KS, Klompas M, Lo E, Marschall J, Mermel LA, Nicolle LE, Salgado CD, Bryant K, Classen D, Crist K, Deloney VM, Fishman NO, Foster N, Goldmann DA, Humphreys E, Jernigan JA, Padberg J, Perl TM, Podgorny K, Septimus EJ, VanAmringe M, Weaver T, Weinstein RA, Wise R, Maragakis LL. A compendium of strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 updates. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014; 35:967-77.
- Yokoe DS, Anderson DJ, Berenholtz SM, Calfee DP, Dubberke ER, Ellingson KD, Gerding DN, Haas JP, Kaye KS, Klompas M, Lo E, Marschall J, Mermel LA, Nicolle LE, Salgado CD, Bryant K, Classen D, Crist K, Deloney VM, Fishman NO, Foster N, Goldmann DA, Humphreys E, Jernigan JA, Padberg J, Perl TM, Podgorny K, Septimus EJ, VanAmringe M, Weaver T, Weinstein RA, Wise R, Maragakis LL. A compendium of strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 updates. Am J Infect Control 2014; 42:820-8.
- Zeynalov E, Rezvani N, Miyazaki C, Liu X, Littleton-Kearney MT. Reproductive senescence blunts response of estrogen receptor-alpha expression to estrogen treatment in rat post-ischemic cerebral microvessels. PLoS One 2014; 9:e102194.
Books and Book Chapters
Hensley N, Hogue CW. Anesthesia for urgent surgery in patients with myocardial ischemia or decompensated heart failure. In: Post TW, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; 2014.
Hensley N, Hogue CW. Anesthesia for emergency surgery after cardiac arrest or traumatic cardiac injury. In: Post TW, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; 2014.
Hensley N, Abraham T. Managing hypertrophic cardiomyopathy through non-cardiac surgery and pregnancy. In: Naidu SS, ed. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Springer; 2014, in press.
Hensley NB, Sussman T. Managing postoperative bleeding in the cardiac surgical patient. In: Kerr G, Varghese R, Chung I, Evans A, eds. Modern Concepts and Practices in Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Hershey, PA: IGI Global; 2014, in press.
Accomplishments and Honors
- Rebecca Aslakson, MD, PhD, was selected to receive the 2015 AAHPM Early Career Investigator Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. This is a prestigious award given to only one member per year.
- Lauren Berkow, MD, gave Grand Rounds on Airway Management at Lankenau Medical Center, Philadelphia.
- Lauren Berkow, MD, was invited as international faculty at the 2nd International Airway Symposium, to be held in Santiago Chile, September 5, 6.
- Lauren Berkow, MD, joined the Maryland Hospitals for Healthy Environment Advisory Board.
- Dr. Charles Brown's abstract, The Association of Postoperative Delirium and Cognitive Decline 4-6 Weeks after Cardiac Surgery, was chosen for presentation in the 2014 ASA Best Abstracts Session.
- Romergryko Geocadin, MD, is the overall chair of the 12th annual meeting of the Neurocritical Care Society scheduled for September 10-14, 2014, in Seattle, WA. He is also the vice president of the Neurocritical Care Society.
- Jade Hewitt, Vincent Naguit, RN, and Shivani Patel, MD, were each named Service Stars by the Johns Hopkins Department of Service Excellence.
- Rosa Sanchez received certification from the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians (ASATT).
Conferences and Talks
- Lauren Berkow, MD, will be featured at the Maryland Health Care Sustainability Leadership Council on September 9th to discuss methods for reducing anesthetic gasses (potent greenhouse gasses), tips for greening the operating room, and how to engage physicians in sustainability. She will also speak on sustainability and physician involvement at the Practice Greenhealth Greening the OR symposium in Chicago on September 11th.
In the Media
- Sapna Kudchadkar, MD, was mentioned in an article published in The Intensive Connection, from the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. You can find it here: http://www.esicm.org/news-article/ARTICLE-REVIEW-NEXT-paediatric-study-LUTZ-WEISS