Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Director of Acute Pain Service
Associate Residency Program Director
Director of Education for Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Management
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Sheikh Zayed Tower
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Main Office: 410-955-5608
Dr. Marie N. Hanna is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Hanna specializes in obstetric anesthesia, as well as regional and acute pain management. She serves as the director of the Acute Pain Service and the chief of the Division of Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Management.
Dr. Hanna has been instrumental in developing regional anesthesia and pain management educational programs for residents, fellows and faculty in the U.S. and abroad. She recently worked with United Arab Emirates physicians to establish a pain-management education research project there.
Her many educational roles at Johns Hopkins include serving as the associate director of the Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Residency Program, as well as the director of Pain Management and Regional Anesthesia Education.
Dr. Hanna earned her medical degree at Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt. She completed anesthesiology residencies at both the Loyola University School of Medicine and Cairo’s Coptic Hospital. She also completed an internal medicine internship at Metro West Medical Center in Framingham, Massachusetts, and served as a research assistant at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Prior to joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2005, Dr. Hanna served on the faculty of the University of Kentucky Department of Anesthesiology, where she led the Regional Anesthesia Program during her final two years.
Dr. Hanna is a member of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia. She has co-authored four book chapters, published more than 15 journal articles and delivered invited lectures around the world.
Professional Society Memberships
2007–2011 Member, American Society of Anesthesiologist
2007–present Member, American Society of Regional Anesthesia
Journal peer review: Journal of Urology (2005); Regional Anesthesia & Pain Management (2005 – present)
2003 Abraham Flexner Master Educator Award in Educational Innovation & Development, Center for Excellence in Medical Education. A peer- reviewed award recognizing outstanding faculty who have made significant contributions in educational innovation & development in the College of Medicine at the University of Kentucky.
2003 Circles of Power Award in Leadership program for Woman Faculty at University of Kentucky.
2011 Award in Leadership program for Woman Faculty at Johns Hopkins University.
- Hanna MN, Elhassan A, Veloso PM, Lesley M, Lissauer J, Richman JM, Wu CL. Efficacy of bicarbonate in decreasing pain on intradermal injection of local anesthetics: A meta-analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2009; 34(2):122-125.
- Hanna MN, Jeffries MA, Hamzehzadeh S, Richman JM, Veloso PM, Cox L, Wu CL. Survey of the utilization of regional and general anesthesia in a tertiary teaching hospital. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2009; 34(3):224-228.
- Hanna MN, Sloan PA. A comparison of levobupivacaine and ropivacaine for interscalene and femoral nerve blocks: A randomized double-blind, prospective clinical trial. J Anesth Clinic Res 2011; 2:135. doi:10.4172/2155-6148.1000135.
- Murphy JD, Ouanes JP, Togioka BM, Sumida SM, Isaac GR, Gelfand HJ, Hanna MN. Comparison of air and liquid for use in loss-of-resistance technique during labor epidurals: A meta-analysis. J Anesth Clinic Res 2011; 2:175. doi:10.4172/2155-6148.1000175.
- Hanna MN, González-Fernández M, Barrett AD, Williams KA, Pronovost P. Does patient perception of pain control affect patient satisfaction across surgical units in a tertiary teaching hospital? Am J Med Qual Feb 16, 2012 (epub ahead of print) PMID: 22345130.