News & Features
Two medications have been very successful in lengthening the lives of approximately 80 percent of patients with metastatic prostate cancer, but the drugs do not work in the remaining 20 percent of patients. Now, a blood test may help doctors find alternative treatments more quickly.
A study of six different cancer types shows that regardless of stage or type, cancers have a widespread and distinctive effect on the epigenome. This effect appears to enable cancers to turn genes on or off as needed. Find out how this discovery may one day change the way we screen for cancers.
The news in July that HIV had returned in a Mississippi toddler after a two-year, treatment-free remission dashed the hopes of those searching for a cure. Despite the disappointing outcome, say HIV researchers Robert and Janet Siliciano, the Mississippi case yielded critical lessons about the virus.