I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Carl E. Stafstrom, M.D., Ph.D.
Carl Ernest Stafstrom, M.D., Ph.D.
Lederer Endowed Chair of Pediatric Epilepsy
Professor of Neurology
Expertise: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Development Delay, Epilepsy, Headache, Neurocutaneous Disorders, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Neurofibromatosis, Neurology, Pediatric Brain Tumors, Pediatric Neurology ...read more
Research Interests: Mechanisms of epileptogenesis and neuronal excitability in the developing brain; Effects of seizures in the immature brain on subsequent cognitive function and seizure susceptibility; Childrens self-perceptions of neurologic disorders through art; Dietary approaches to epilepsy management; Response to therapy and long-term outcome; EEG characteristics and development; Mechanisms of age-related susceptibility to various seizure types; Epilepsy syndromes in children ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4259
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Carl E. Stafstrom, M.D., Ph.D., is the Lederer Endowed Chair of Pediatric Epilepsy, and serves as the Director of Pediatric Neurology and Director of the John M. Freeman Pediatric Epilepsy Center.
Dr. Stafstrom received his medical degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, with residencies at the University of Washington Medical Center and Tufts New England Medical Center, as well as fellowships at Harvard for neurology research and Boston Children’s Hospital in clinical neurophysiology, electroencephalography, and epilepsy.
Dr. Stafstrom previously served as Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health and Chief of Pediatric Neurology at American Family Children’s Hospital at UW Madison.
- Lederer Endowed Chair of Pediatric Epilepsy
- Director, Division of Pediatric Neurology
- Director, Pediatric Epilepsy Center
- Professor of Neurology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MD PhD, University Of Washington School Of Medicine (1985)
- University of Washington School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1987)
- Tufts -New England Medical Center Hospitals / Neurology (1990)
- Boston Children's Hospital / Neurology (1992)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Clinical Neurophysiology (1999)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Epilepsy (2013)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology/Special Child Neurology (1994)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Distinguished Neurology Teacher Award, American Neurological Association, 2012
- 2010: Residents’ Teaching Award, University of Wisconsin, 2010
- Citation for Excellence in Medical Student Teaching, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, 2007 - 2012
- The Lily Epilepsy Research Prize, 2008
- Selected for American Neurological Association, 2011
- Top Doctor 2017, Baltimore Magazine, 2017 - 2017
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
For kids with migraines, a picture can be worth a thousand words, WTOP (07/08/2015)
New Faculty Focusing on Epilepsy and Neuromuscular Disorders, Pediatric Neuro News (Winter 2015)
An Artful Diagnosis of Headache in Young Children, Johns Hopkins Children's Center News (11/4/2014)