I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lillie Shockney, M.A.S.
University Distinguished Service Professor of Breast Cancer
Professor of Surgery
Lillie D. Shockney served as administrative director of breast center from 1997 to November 2018 and director of cancer survivorship programs from 2011 to November 2018, at which time she retired from her hospital leadership roles. She continues to serve on the faculty in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and also as the co-developer of Work Stride - Managing Cancer at Work, an employee benefit developed for Hopkins employees that now is being utilized by businesses and corporations nationally.
A two-time breast cancer survivor, Lillie has worked tirelessly to improve the care of breast cancer patients around the world. She is a registered nurse with a Bachelor of Science degree in health care administration from Saint Joseph's College and a Masters in Administrative Science from the Johns Hopkins University. She has worked at Johns Hopkins since 1983. She is also certified as a breast imaging and breast cancer patient navigator.
Lillie is a published author and nationally recognized public speaker on the subject of breast cancer. She has written 16 books and more than 300 articles on this subject. She serves on the medical advisory board of several national breast cancer organizations and is the co-founder and vice president of a national non-profit organization called Mothers Supporting Daughters with Breast Cancer.
Lillie is also editor-in-chief of a new peer-reviewed medicine journal called Journal of Oncology Navigation and Survivorship, which launched in Spring 2011. She is the co-founder and Director of the Academy of Oncology Nurse Navigators (AONN), a national organization that provides a network for all professionals involved and interested in patient navigation and survivorship care services to better manage the complexities of the cancer care treatment continuum for their patients.
She is an active public speaker and continues her literary work.
- University Distinguished Service Professor of Breast Cancer
- Administrative Director, Johns Hopkins Breast Center
- Administrative Director, Johns Hopkins Cancer Survivorship Programs
- Professor of Surgery
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Professor of Oncology
- R.N., Chesapeake College Macqueen Gibbs Willis School of Nursing (Maryland) (1974)
- B.S., Saint Joseph's College (Maine) (1982)
- M.A.S., Johns Hopkins University (Maryland) (1988)
Activities & Honors
- The Trailblazers in Healthcare Award by the Women in Business organization, 2016
- Gold award designation for Digital Health Awards for Managing Cancer at Work, 2015
- Maryland Cancer Collaborative Implementation Innovative Systems Change Award for Managing Cancer at Work Program, 2015
- The Oncology Roundtable Advisory Board Company’s Best Practices Recognition – Metastatic Cancer Couples Retreats, 2015
- Nominated for MacArthur Genius Award, 2015
- Johns Hopkins Service Star Award, 2015
- Johns Hopkins Service Star Award, 2014
- Catherine Logan Award for Service to Survivorship from the National Coalition of Cancer Survivorship, 2014
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship's Catherine Logan Award for Service to Survivorship, 2014
- Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition's Pink Ribbon Award, 2014
- Excellence in Reviewing Award from Elsevier, publisher of peer-reviewed journal The Breast, 2013
- Tigerlily Foundation "Inspire" award, 2012
- Johnson & Johnson “Amazing Nurses” Award, 2011
- Amoena Corporation's Outstanding Contribution to Breast Care Award, 2010
- Health Network Foundation's Service Excellence Award, 2009 - 2010
- Maryland Women's Hall of Fame inductee, Maryland Commission for Women, 2010
- Mid-Atlantic Region of the American Cancer Society's Honoree for Play Pink on the Links Event, 2010
- Oncology Nursing Society’s Excellence in Survivor Advocacy Award, 2009
- Maryland Daily Record Healthcare Hero – Nursing Excellence Award, 2009
- Yoplait Breast Cancer Champion award, 2007
- Spirit of Friends Award from Food & Friends and the Avon Foundation, 2006
- Patient of Courage Award from the American Plastic Surgery Society, 2006
- Professor of Survivorship Award by the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, 2005
- Finalist for the Lance Armstrong Foundation's Spirit of Survivorship award, 2004
- One of the Top 100 Women in Maryland for her leadership and community service efforts, 2004
- The Impact Award from the National Consortium of Breast Centers, 2003
- The Komen Award from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Maryland chapter, 2003
- The American Cancer Society recognized her again as one of their Faces of Breast Cancer—that same year she received the Oncology Nursing Society Award for Excellence in Breast Cancer Education, 2002
- American Cancer Society’s Lane Adams Award for Excellence in Caring, 2001
- "Unsung Hero" for breast cancer by Pharmacia & Upjohn, 2000
- National Circle of Life Award, the American Cancer Society's Voice of Hope Award, and Intel's Internet Health Hero Award, 1999
- National Silver Medal Award from the National Consumer Health Information Center, 1998
- Distinguished Graduate for Lifetime Achievement Award, 1997
- The BMW Dealership Breast Cancer Survivor Hero Award, 1997
- Portrait of Hope for Breast Cancer from the American Cancer Society, 1997
- The Global Business Leadership Award for Clinical Quality Improvement and Utilization Management, 1994
- Outstanding Women of America Award, 1984
- 2016 Folio Top Women in Media Honoree, 2016
- Lifetime Achievement Award, National Breast Cancer Foundation, 2018
- Lifetime Achievement Award, PVDA Ride for Life, 2018
- A Woman’s Journey - Johns Hopkins Medicine’s Lifetime Achievement Award, 2018
- AONN+ Lifetime Achievement Award, Academy of Oncology Nurse Navigators, 2018
- Health Hero Award, WebMD, 2018
Videos & Media
I Have Been There from Lillie Shockney
Telling Your Children about Your Breast Cancer Diagnosis
What is Breast Reconstruction | Overview
Breast Cancer - Humor and Healing
Advice for newly diagnosed patients