I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Helen Sophie Barold, M.D., M.P.H.
Cardiologist, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Cardiac Electrophysiology, Cardiology, Cardiomyopathy, Cardiovascular Disease, Chest Pain, Congenital Heart Disease, Echocardiography, Electrophysiology, Heart Disease Prevention and Treatment in Women, Holter Monitoring, Hypertension, Pacemakers, Stress Testing, Varicose Veins, Vascular Ultrasound ...read more
Comprehensive Cardiac Care PLLC
Appointment Phone: 202-237-0808
4910 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Helen S. Barold is a cardiologist at Sibley Memorial Hospital. Dr. Barold is board certified in cardiovascular disease and clinical cardiac electrophysiology. She practices out of Comprehensive Cardiac Care PLLC in Washington, DC.
Dr. Barold has a wide range of cardiac expertise, including cardiac electrophysiology, cardiology, cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, chest pain, congenital heart disease, echocardiography, electrophysiology, heart disease prevention and treatment in women, holter monitoring, hypertension, pacemakers, stress testing, varicose veins and vascular ultrasound. She specializes in adults age 18 and older.
Dr. Barold earned her medical degree from the University of Rochester and her Master of Public Health from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins, as well as fellowships in cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology at Duke University School of Medicine.
Dr. Barold is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
Dr. Barold has clinical interests in arrhythmias and heart disease in women. She has contributed to numerous publications and abstracts.
- Cardiologist, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Medicine at Suburban Hospital
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (1991)
- MPH; Public Health, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1994)
- Duke University School of Medicine / Cardiology (1997)
- Duke University School of Medicine / Cardiac Electrophysiology (1998)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (1997)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology (1998)
Research & Publications
1. Imai N, Paley J, Barold H and Liang C. Effect of methylene blue on the cardiac output
response to exercise in dogs. J Appl Physiol. 61(6):2012-2017,1986.
2. Kurlan R, Barold H, Page S, Como P, and Shoulson I. Assessment of quality of life in
Parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol. 29:142-143, 1989.
3. Tomassoni G, Newby K, Kearney M, Brandon J, Barold H and Natale A. Testing
different biphasic waveforms and capacitances: effect on atrial defibrillation and pain
perception. J Am Coll Cardiol 28:695-699, 1996.
4. Barold H and Wharton JM. Ventricular fibrillation resulting from synchronized
internal atrial defibrillation in a patient with ventricular preexcitation. J Cardiovasc
5. Barold S and Barold H. Pitfalls in the characterization of second-degree AV block.
HeartWeb 2(6), (On the Internet). April 1997.
6. Barold S and Barold H. Infranodal AV block in acute inferior myocardial infarction.
HeartWeb 2(6), April 1997. (www.heartweb.org/heartweb/0497/p0002.htm)
7. Barold S and Barold H. Are changes needed in the ACC/AHA Guidelines for Pacing?
ACC Current Journal Review.
8. Barold S and Barold H. Contemporary Issues in Rate-Adaptive Pacing. Clin Cardiol.
9. Barold H, Newby K, Tomassoni G, Kearney M, Brandon J and Natale A. Prospective
evaluation of new and old criteria to discriminate between supraventricular and
ventricular tachycardia in implantable defibrillators. PACE.PACE. 21: 1347-55, 1998.
10. Barold S and Barold H. Optimal Cardiac Pacing in Patients with Coronary Artery
Disease. PACE. 21:456-461,1998.
11. Barold H, Hesselson A, Jollis J, Wharton J and Bahnson T. Concealed Mechanical
Bradycardia: and indication for permanent pacemaker implantation. PACE. 21:2007-8,
12. Barold H, Shander G, Tomassoni G, Simons G and Wharton J. Effect of increased
parasympathetic and sympathetic tone on internal atrial defibrillation thresholds in
humans. PACE. 22:238-42, 1999.
13. Barold SS, Barold HS. Internet diagnosis of second-degree AV block.
HeartWeb (on the Internet) March 2000.
14. Barold SS, Barold HS. Acquired AV block.Should the 1998 ACC/AHA
guidelines for pacemaker implantation be revised? Cardiac
15. Barold SS, Barold HS, Fishel RS. The 1998 ACC/AHA guidelines for
pacemaker implantation should be revised. In Ovsyshcher IE (Ed). Cardiac
Arrhythmias and Device Therapy: Results and Perspectives for the New Century. Futura. Armonk NY 2000:307.
16. Barold SS, Barold HS, Fishel RS. Diagnostic value of the 12 lead ECG
during cardiac pacing. In Ovsyshcher IE (Ed). Cardiac Arrhythmias and
Device Therapy: Results and Perspectives for the New Century. Futura.
Armonk NY 2000: 349.
17. Barold SS, Barold HS. Demonstration of the fatigue phenomenon of the
His-Purkinje system by right ventricular outflow tract stimulation.
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2000 OCT;4(3):489-91.
18. Barold SS, Barold HS, Cazeau S. Should the split format in the third position
of the pacemaker code be resurrected? Am J Cardiol 2000 SEP 1;86(5):545-6.
19. Barold HS. Using the MADIT II Criteria for Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
What is the Role of the Food and Drug Administration Approval? Card Electrophysiol
Rev. 2003 Dec;7(4):443-6.
20. Saxon LA, De Marco T,… Barold HS et al. Resynchronization for Heart Failure. [To
be published in new journal Heart Rhythm]. Can be accessed on www.naspe.org.
21. Barold HS, Newman M, Flanagan M. Barold SS. Two-to-one bundle branch block
during atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia: What is the mechanism?
Heart Rhythm. 2007 Mar;4(3):371-3.
1. Thomas A, Imai N, Barold H, Paley J, and Liang C. The effect of dichloroacetic acid
on hemodynamics in exercising dogs. Clinical Research 33:232A, 1985.
2. Imai N, Paley J, Barold H, and Liang C. Exercise increases cardiac output despite
absence of increased Lactate/Pyruvate ratio. Clinical Research 33:519A, 1985.
3. Barold H, Daley B, Sladek J and Collier T. Noradrenergic grafts in aged F344 rats:
Effects on performance of a spatial memory task. Schmitt Neurological Sciences
4. Barold H, Sladek J and Collier T. Norepinephrine neuron grafts improve spatial
memory performance of aged rats and forestall development of age related memory
deficits in rats grafted as young adults. Society for Neuroscience, Toronto, 1988.
5. Natale A, Tomassoni G, Kearney M, Brandon J, Geiger M, Barold H and Newby K.
Catheter ablation approach on the right side only for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation
therapy. Circulation 92: I-266A, 1995.6. Natale A, Barold H, Tomassoni G, Kearney M, Fain E, Brandon J, Geiger M and Newby K. Prospective comparison of an active can system with different two-coil transvenous lead systems. Circulation 92: I-340A, 1995.
7. Tomassoni G, Kearney M, Brandon J, Geiger M, Barold H, Newby K and Natale A.
Effect of capacitance on transvenous atrial defibrillation in patients. Circulation 92: I-
8. Barold H, Newby K, Kearney M, Brandon J, Geiger M, Tomassoni G and Natale A.
Tilt-based transvenous atrial defibrillation in patients:improved efficacy with certain
biphasic waveforms. Circulation 92: I-473A, 1995.
9. Natale A, Kearney M, Brandon J, Geiger M, Barold H, Tomassoni G Kent V and
Newby K. Safety of transvenous atrial defibrillation in patients with monomorphic
ventricular tachycardia and heart disease. J Am CollCardiol 27: 302A, 1996.
10. Barold H, Newby K, Tomassoni G, Brandon J, Geiger M, Kearney M and Natale A,
Transmitral valve flow and conduction times during dual chamber pacing with
different AV delays at a fast rate. PACE 19(4): 641A, 1996.
11. Geiger M, Barold H, Fain E, Kearney M, Brandon J, Kent V, Tomassoni G, Newby K
and Natale A. Is the surface area or the shadow area of the defibrillator case a
determinant for the efficacy of the single lead unipolar system. PACE 19(4):653A,
12. Newby K, Barold H, Tomassoni G, Brandon J, Geiger M, Kearney M and Natale A.
Dual chamber pacing with a single pass multielectrode temporary electrode lead:
Electrogram amplitude and pacing in the atria from free floating proximal electrodes.
PACE 19(4):719A, 1996.
13. Barold H, Sogade F, Nair L, Simons G, Greenfield R, Sorrentino R, Kanter R and
Wharton M. Clinical characteristics of atrial tachycardias arising from the crista
terminalis. Circulation 94(8):I-446, 1996.
14. Barold H, Newby K, Tomassoni G, Kearney M, Brandon J, Geiger M and Natale A.
Prospective evaluation of new and old criteria to discriminate between supraventricular
and ventricular tachycardia in the Medtronic 7218C implantable defibrillator.
Circulation 94(8):I-568, 1996.
15. Barold H, Sogade F, Simons G, Sorrentino R, Greenfield R and Wharton J. Effect of
parasympathetic tone on the internal atrial defibrillation threshold in humans. J Am
Coll Cardiol 29:473A. 1997.
16. Pacifico A, Tomassoni G, Barold H, Sra J, HendersonP, Wolverton A and Natale A.
Implant of the "Hot" can on the right side: Effect of a superior vena cava electrode and
feasibility. PACE 20(4):1071A. 1997.
17. Natale A, Tomassoni G, Ament A, Barold H, Richey M, Fain E, Beheiry S, Henderson
P, Wolverton A and Newby K. Positive phase duration of biphasic pulses: Effects on
defibrillation success in patients. PACE 20(4):1168A. 1997.
18. Zimerman L, Newby K, Barold H, Tomassoni G, Pisano E, Fanelli R and Natale A.
Effects of the lower pacing rate on the quality of life of elderly patients with a VVIR
pacemaker implanted following AV node ablation for chronic atrial fibrillation. PACE
19. Simons G, Nair L, Sogade F, Hillsley R, Barold H and Wharton M. Is there
decremental conduction at the coronary sinus ostial region during entrainment of
typical flutter. PACE 20(4):1202A. 1997.
20. Kanter R, Papagiannis J, Barold H, Simons G, Carboni M and Wharton J. A single
institution’s experience in radiofrequency ablation following the mustard operation.
PACE 20(4):1212A. 1997.
21. Yang W, Natale A, Barold H, Saenger D and Hoffman D. Effect of Lead Shape on
Atrial Sensing and Pacing with Floating Bipolar Electrodes. PACE 21(4):807A, 1998.
22. Kanter R, Tomassoni G, Barold H, Simons G, Carboni M, Kaminer S and Marcus J.
Atrial Fibrillation in the Young: Associated Diagnosis, Methods of Cardioversion, and
Utility of Internal Inter-Catheter Cardioversion. PACE 21(4):845A, 1998.
23. Tomassoni G, Barold H, Lein L, Wolf P and Natale A. Non-continuous Linear Lesions
in the Right Atrium: Effects of Epicardial Electrical Mapping. Circulation 96(4):I-22,
24. Natale A, Newby K, Barold H, Wolverton A, Fanelli R and Pisano E. Occurrence of
Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia in Acquired Third Degree AV Block with
Narrow QRS Escape: Utility of QT Dispersion and Clinical Variables. Circulation
25. Natale A, Tomassoni G, Fanelli R, Wolverton A, Barold H, Newby K and Pisano E.
Occurrence of Atrial Flutter After After Initiation of Amiodarone Therapy for
Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation 96(4):I-385, 1997.
26. Natale A, Pisano E, Fanelli R, Barold H, Tomassoni G, Beheiry S and Newby K.
Prospective Randomization Comparison of Antiarrhythmic Therapy Versus First Line
Radiofrequency Ablation in Patients with Atrial Flutter. Circulation 96(4):I-451, 1997.
27. Natale A, Fanelli R, Newby K, Henderson P, Wolverton A, Zimerman L, Tomassoni
G, and Barold H. Dual Chamber Pacing Alone or in Combination With AV Junction
Ablation for Treatment of Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation and Evidenec of Sinus
Bradycardia: Impact on Quality of Life and Symptoms. Circulation 96(4):I-695, 1997.28. Barold H, Tomassoni G, Lein L, Dixon-Tulloch E and Wolf P. Chronic Atrial Burst
Pacing Results in a Controlled Ventricular Rate Model of Atrial Fibrillation in Sheep.
JACC 31(2):158A, 1998.
29. Natale A, Beheiry S, Barold H, Tomassoni G, Lein L, Dixon-Tulloch E, Jensen N,
Geiser J and Wolf P. Multi-electrode Stretching Catheter for Creation of Linear
Radiofrequency Lesions in the Atrium: Comparison With Standard Multi-electrode
Design and Dragging Approach. JACC 31(2):255A, 1998.
30. Natale A, Newby K, Zimerman L, Beheiry S, Wolverton A, Pisano E, Fanelli R,
Barold H, and Tomassoni G. Prospective Assessment of Quality of Life in Patients
with Congestive Heart Failure Receiving Dual Chamber Pacing: Bradycardia Related
Impact. JACC 31(2): 389A.
31. Meyer S, Barold H, Dixon-Tulloch E and Wolf P. A Novel Nonfluoroscopic
Multicatheter Tracking Method. Circulation 98 (17): I-299, 1998.
32. Barold H, Jain M, Dixon-Tulloch E, Riley R, Wolf P and Wharton J. A Comparison of
Temperature-Controlled Cooled Tip Versus Standard Temperature-Controlled
Radiofrequency Ablation in Left Ventricular Myocardium. Circulation 98(17): I-644,
33. Barold H, Jain M, Dixon-Tulloch E, Riley R, Wolf P and Wharton J. What is the
Optimal Temperature Limit for Temperature-Controlled Cooled Radiofrequency
Ablation? Circulation 98(17): I-644, 1998.