I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Kristin Alyce Riekert, Ph.D.
Director, The Johns Hopkins Adherence Research Center
Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Adolescent and young adult health; Health beliefs; Doctor-patient communication; Treatment adherence; Communication and adherence in inner-city children; Cystic fibrosis self-management among teens and adults ...read more
Dr. Kristin Riekert received her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Case Western Reserve University in 2000 where she specialized in pediatric psychology. She completed post-doctoral training in health psychology at The Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Riekert is Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on several NIH and foundation sponsored intervention trials focused on improving adherence and health outcomes in cystic fibrosis, asthma, chronic kidney disease, sickle cell disease and secondhand smoke reduction. Dr. Riekert's primary areas of research interest are: psychosocial predictors of adherence in adolescents and young adults with chronic illnesses, measurement of adherence, development of culturally and developmentally appropriate interventions to improve adherence, mHealth interventions, transitioning responsibility for health behaviors and care, patient-reported outcome methodology, health care disparities, and doctor-patient communication. Dr. Riekert is committed to improving healthcare quality and delivery, particularly among underserved and disadvantaged populations....read more
- Director, The Johns Hopkins Adherence Research Center
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- B.S., Duke University (North Carolina) (1993)
- Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University (Ohio) (2000)
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Jennings MT, Riekert KA, Boyle MP. Update on Key Emerging Challenges in Cystic Fibrosis. Med Princ Pract. 2014 Jan 10. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24434297
- Okelo SO, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Bilderback AL, Diette GB, Rand CS, Yenokyan G. Pediatrician qualifications and asthma management behaviors and their association with patient race/ethnicity. J Asthma. 2013 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24256071
- Carson SS, Goss CH, Patel SR, Anzueto A, Au DH, Elborn S, Gerald JK, Gerald LB, Kahn JM, Malhotra A, Mularski RA, Riekert KA, Rubenfeld GD, Weaver TE, Krishnan JA; American Thoracic Society Comparative Effectiveness Research Working Group. An official American Thoracic Society research statement: comparative effectiveness research in pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Nov 15;188(10):1253-61. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201310-1790ST. PMID: 24160906
- Eakin MN, Riekert KA. The impact of medication adherence on lung health outcomes in cystic fibrosis. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2013 Nov;19(6):687-91. doi: 10.1097/MCP.0b013e3283659f45. PMID: 24060982 [PubMed - in process]
- Eakin MN, Brady T, Kandasamy V, Fivush B, Riekert KA. Disparities in antihypertensive medication adherence in adolescents. Pediatr Nephrol. 2013 Aug;28(8):1267-73. doi: 10.1007/s00467-013-2455-2. Epub 2013 Mar 20. PMID: 23512259 [PubMed - in process]
- Okelo SO, Eakin MN, Patino CM, Teodoro AP, Bilderback AL, Thompson DA, Loiaza-Martinez A, Rand CS, Thyne S, Diette GB, Riekert KA. The Pediatric Asthma Control and Communication Instrument asthma questionnaire: for use in diverse children of all ages. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Jul;132(1):55-62. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.01.007. Epub 2013 Feb 21. PMID: 23434285
- Glauser TA, Nevins PH, Williamson JC, Abdolrasulnia M, Salinas GD, Zhang J, Debonnett L, Riekert KA. Adherence to the 2007 cystic fibrosis pulmonary guidelines: a national survey of CF care centers. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 May;47(5):434-40. doi: 10.1002/ppul.21573. Epub 2012 Jan 3. PMID: 22495970
- Demissie S, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Bilderback A, Diette GB, Okelo SO. How Do Perceptions of Asthma Control and Severity Relate to Indicators of Asthma Status and Treatment Recommendations by Pediatricians? Pediatr Allergy Immunol Pulmonol. 2012 Mar;25(1):17-23. PMID: 22454788
- Eakin MN, Rand CS, Bilderback A, Bollinger ME, Butz A, Kandasamy V, Riekert KA. Asthma in Head Start children: effects of the Breathmobile program and family communication on asthma outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3):664-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2011.10.013. Epub 2011 Nov 21. PMID: 22104603
- Collaco JM, Kole AJ, Riekert KA, Eakin MN, Okelo SO, McGrath-Morrow SA. Respiratory medication adherence in chronic lung disease of prematurity. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Mar;47(3):283-91. doi: 10.1002/ppul.21547. Epub 2011 Sep 8. PMID: 21905271
Contact for Research Inquiries
Activities & Honors
- American Thoracic Society Early Career Achievement Award, Behavioral Science and Health Services Research Assembly of the American Thoracic Society, 2009
- Highlighted Abstract, American Thoracic Society 99th International Conference, 2003
- The Frederick L. Brancati Excellence in Mentoring Award, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2017
- American Thoracic Society Lifetime Achievement Award, Behavioral Science and Health Services Research Assembly of the American Thoracic Society, 2017