I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Clare Rock, M.B.B.Ch.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Role of human factors in infection prevention; Role of patient environment in infection transmission; Novel infection-related outcome measures for quality of care ...read more
Dr. Clare Rock is an Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Associate Hospital Epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Faculty Member at Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality.
Dr. Rock's research expertise is healthcare environmental hygiene and mitigating the role that environmental transmission plays in acquisition of multidrug-resistant organisms. With CDC funding, she applies human factors, systems engineering and other novel approaches to enhance current hospital environmental hygiene practices. She speaks nationally and internationally on this and other infection prevention related topics. Dr. Rock co-leads the Maryland Statewide Prevention And Reduction of Clostridioides difficile (SPARC) collaborative, where she assesses and advises hospitals on environmental cleaning practices, and other C. difficile prevention strategies. Her other area of interest is diagnostic stewardship, and the behavioral, cultural and human factors aspects of implementation of initiatives to enhance appropriate use of diagnostic tests. Dr. Rock is principal investigator of the Johns Hopkins 2018-2020 CDC Prevention Epicenter grant using innovative approaches to improve appropriate C. difficile testing. She is Chair of Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) Research Network, served on SHEA research committee and is research director for High Value Practice Academic Alliance.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- M.B.B.Ch., University College Dublin, National University of Ireland (Ireland) (2004)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Resident Grand Rounds Competition Winner, Connolly Hospital, Ireland
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University College Cork and South Tipperary General Hospital
- Infectious Diseases Society of Ireland Research Award, Infectious Diseases Society of Ireland Research Award, Ireland
- Ireland Fellows’ Clinical Case presentation winner, Infectious Diseases Society of Ireland Annual Scientific Meeting
- ECCMID Award for high-quality abstract, European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID) Award for high-quality abstract Milan, Italy
- Trainee Travel Grant for Excellence in Abstract Submission ID Week™, IDSA
- SHEA Epi Project Grant Award Winner, Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- Jonathan Freeman Scholarship SHEA Conference Award, Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- Graduate Program in Life Sciences MS Scholar Award
- Top 5 Best Scientific Abstracts -Spring 2015, Society of Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- SHEA Top Poster Abstract Award recipient, SHEA 2019
- Costs of Care Teaching Value Award. Order Wisely: A new cross-specialty paradigm for ordering appropriateness continuing medical education. (C. difficile testing & treatment), Costs of Care
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), 2011
- Society for Hospital Epidemiology of America (SHEA), 2011
- American Society of Microbiology (ASM), 2014
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Researchers use human factors engineering approach to improve room cleaning: Three-year study aimed at developing solutions to make environment safer. Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine. (March 2017)
Can You Work Out When You're Sick? Here's What Experts Say. Bustle.com (September 2018)
Johns Hopkins Researchers Working on Tool to Combat C. Difficile Overtesting GenomeWeb.com, 360Dx.com (12/2018)
Flu begins to Climb across the Country, Everyday Health (January 2019)
Mindfulness in Infection Prevention, ClOsler (Closer to Osler) (February 2019)