I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
James S. K. Sham, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: TRP channels in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells; Calcium regulation in chronic hypoxic pulmonary hypertension; Local calcium signaling in the pulmonary arteries ...read more
Dr. James Sham is a Professor of Medicine in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Department. He studies local calcium signaling in the pulmonary arteries, calcium regulation in chronic hypoxic pulmonary hypertension and TRP channels in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells.
Dr. Sham holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and a PhD from the Johns Hopkins University. He completed a fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania before joining the Johns Hopkins faculty.
- Professor of Medicine
- B.Sc., Chinese University of Hong Kong (China) (1981)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (1989)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- DeshpandeDA, McIlmoyle EL, Robinett KS, Wang WCH, An SS, Sham JSK, Liggett SB. Bitter taste receptors on airway smooth muscle bronchodilate by a localized calcium flux and reverse obstruction. Nature Med. 2010;16:1299-1304.
- Yip KP, Sham JSK. Mechanisms of vasopressin-induced intracellular Ca2+ oscillations in rat inner medullary collecting duct. Am J Physiol Renal Physio.l 2011;300(2):F540-8.
- Deshpande DA, Robinett KS, Wang WCH, Sham JSK, An SS, Liggett SB. Bronchodilator activity of bitter tastants in human tissue. Nature Med. 2011;17:776-778.
- Umesh A, Paudel O, Cao YN, Myers AC, Sham JSK. Alterations of Integrin Expression in Pulmonary Arteries of Chronic Hypoxia and Monocrotaline-Induced Pulmonary Hypertensive Rats. Journal of Vascular Research 2011;48:525-537.
- LiuXR, Zhang MF, Wang RX, Cao YN, Yang XR, Sham JSK, Lin MJ. Enhanced store-operated Ca²+ entry and TRPC channel expression in pulmonary arteries of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensive rats. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302(1):C77-87.
- YangXR, Lin AHY, Hughes JM, Flavahan NA, Cao YN, Liedtke W, Sham JSK. Upregulation of osmo-mechanosensitive TRPV4 channel facilitates chronic hypoxia-induced myogenic tone and pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 302(6):L555-68, 2012.
- Sun H, Xia Y, Paudel O, Yang XR, Sham JSK. Upregulation of Ca2+-activated Cl- channels contributes to enhanced pulmonary vascular reactivity in chronic hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. J Physiol. 2012;590:3501-7
- Balasubramanian L, Lo CM, Sham JSK, Yip KP. Remanent traction force in renal vascular smooth muscle cells induced by integrin-mediated mechanotransduction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;304:C382-C391.
- JiangYL, Lin AHP, Yang X, Lee S, Paudel O, Sun H, Yang XR, Ran P, Sham JSK. NAADP activates heterogeneous global and local Ca2+ signals from NAADP- and ryanodine receptor-gated Ca2+ Stores in pulmonary arterial myocytes. J Biol Chem. 2013;288(15):10381-10394.
- LiuXR, Liu Q, Chen GY, Hu Y, Sham JSK, Lin MJ. Down-Regulation of TRPM8 in Pulmonary Arteries of Pulmonary Hypertensive Rats. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2013;31:892-904.
- Shang Y, Das S, Rabold R, Sham JSK, Mitzner W, Tang WY. Epigenetic Alterations by DNA methylation in house-dust-mite Induced airway hyperresponsiveness. Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol. 2013;49(2):279-87
- Xia Y, Fu Z, Hu J, Huang C, Paudel O, Cai S,Liedtke W, Sham JSK. TRPV4 Channels Contributes to Serotonin-Induced Pulmonary Vasoconstriction and the Enhanced Vascular Reactivity in Chronic Hypoxic Pulmonary Hypertension. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;305(7):C704-15.
- Xia Y, Yang XR, Fu Z, Paudel O, Abramowitz J, Birnbaumer L, Sham JSK. Classical transient receptor 1 and 6 contribute to hypoxic pulmonary hypertension through differential regulation of pulmonary vascular functions. Hypertension 2014;63:173-180.
- JiangYL, Zhou Y, PengGY, Hu G, LiB, ShamJSK, RanP. Nicotine elevated intracellular Ca2+ in rat airway smooth muscle cells via activating and up-regulating α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. Cell. Physiol. Biochem. 2014;33(2):389-401.
- Cheng RYS, Shang Y, Limjunyawong N, Dao T, Hopkins JL, Nembald M, Das S, Rabold R, Sham JSK, Mitnzer W and Tang WY. Alterations of lung methylome in allergic airway hyperresponsiveness. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 2014;55(3):244-55.
- Subedi K, Paudel O, and Sham JSK. Detection of differentially regulated subsarcolemmal calcium signals induced by vasoactive agonists in rat pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 2014;306(7):C659-69.
- Lee S, Paudel O, Jiang Y, Yang XR, and Sham JSK. CD38 Mediates Angiotensin II-induced Intracellular Ca2+ Release in Rat Pulmonary Arterial Smooth Muscle Cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2015 Mar;52(3):332-41.
- Wang RX, He RL, Jiao HX, Dai M, Mu YP, Hu Y, Wu ZJ, Sham JSK, and Lin MJ. Ginsenoside Rb1 Attenuates Agonist-Induced Contractile Response via Inhibition of Store-Operated Calcium Entry in Pulmonary Arteries of Normal and Pulmonary Hypertensive Rats. Cell Physiol Biochem 2015;35:1467-1481.
Contact for Research Inquiries