I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Valerie Lynn Baker, M.D.
Director, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding, Fertility before and after Cancer Treatment, Fertility Preservation, In Vitro Fertilization, Infertility , Menopause, Ovarian Dysfunction, Polycystic Ovarian Disease, Premature Ovarian Failure, Prolactin Disorders, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Reproductive Endocrinology ...read more
Research Interests: In vitro fertilization; infertility; assisted reproductive technology; outcomes
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-847-3835
10753 Falls Road Pavilion II Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093
Phone: 410-583-2750 | Fax: 410-583-2792
Valerie Baker is director of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and the Telinde-Wallach Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include general infertility, assisted reproductive technology (in vitro fertilization) and primary ovarian insufficiency.
Dr. Baker received her medical degree from Harvard Medical School and a master's degree in public policy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. She completed residency in obstetrics and gynecology and fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). She then served on the faculty at UCSF, University of Washington and Stanford before joining Johns Hopkins. Dr. Baker is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and in reproductive endocrinology and infertility.
Dr. Baker is vice president of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART), the primary professional organization that oversees the practice of assisted reproductive technology in the United States. She has held other key national leadership roles, such as president of the Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and chair of the SART Research Committee. She is an associate editor for the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and for Human Reproduction. Dr. Baker has published more than 60 peer-reviewed research articles on topics related to fertility including stimulation protocols in assisted reproductive technology, factors affecting success with fertility treatment, and biomarkers of ovarian reserve (egg supply). Her current research focuses on health outcomes for women and their offspring following fertility treatment.
- Director, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- TeLinde-Wallach Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1988)
- Mount Zion Medical Center - UCSF / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1992)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (1995)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1996)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Reproductive Endocrinology (1998)
Research & Publications
Dr. Baker’s current research focuses on health outcomes for women after infertility treatment.
Versen-Höynck F, Schaub AM, Chi Y-Y, Chiu K-H, Liu J, Lingis M, Williams RS; Rhoton-Vlasak A, Nichols WW, Fleischmann RR, Zhang W, Winn VD; MS Segal MS, Conrad KP, Baker VL. Increased Preeclampsia Risk and Reduced Aortic Compliance With In Vitro Fertilization Cycles in the Absence of a Corpus Luteum. Hypertension. 2019 Mar;73(3):640-649. PMID: 30636552
von Versen-Höynck F, Strauch, Liu J, Chi YY, Keller-Woods M, Conrad KP, Baker VL.. Effect of Mode of Conception on Maternal Serum Relaxin, Creatinine and Sodium Concentrations in an Infertile Population. Reproductive Sciences 2019, Vol. 26(3) 412-419. PMID: 29862889.
Baker VL, Gracia, C, Glassner M, Schell V, Doody K, Coddington C, Marshall L, Alper M, Morales A, Pavone ME, Behera M, Zbella E, Shapiro B, Straseski J, Clendenin M, Broyles D. Multi-center evaluation of the Access AMH assay to aid in the prediction of poor response to controlled ovarian stimulation. Fertility and Sterility. 2018; 110(3):506-513. PMID: 29960708
Seifer DB, Tal O, Wantman E, Edul P, Baker VL. Prognostic indicators of assisted reproduction technology outcomes of cycles with ultralow serum antimüllerian hormone: a multivariate analysis of over 5,000 autologous cycles from the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Clinic Outcome Reporting System database for 2012-2013. Fertility and Sterility. 2016; 105(2);385-393. PMID: 26515380.
Baker VL, Brown MB, Luke B, Conrad KP. Association between oocyte number retrieved with live birth rate and birth weight: an analysis of 231,815 cycles of in vitro fertilization. Fertility and Sterility 103(4):931-8.e2, 2015. PMID: 25638421.
Activities & Honors
- Reviewer of the Year, Fertility and Sterility, 2017
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Star Award, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, 2014 - 2018
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Service Milestone Award, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, 2015 - 2015
- Exemplary Reviewer, Fertility and Sterility, 2012 - 2012
- Outstanding Reviewer, Human Reproduction, 2011 - 2011
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Vice President, Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART), 2018
- President, Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (SREI), 2015
- Chair, Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Research Committee, 2010
- Executive Council, Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology, 2009
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Fresh versus Frozen Embryo Transfer
Invited Speaker, IVF Forum of International Experts (11/01/2015)
Shenzhen Wujing Hospital
Assisted Reproductive Technology Reporting in the United States
Invited Speaker, Israeli Fertility Association Meeting, Tel Aviv, Israel (05/01/2016)
Fertility Treatment for Primary Ovarian Insufficiency: Where we are and where we are going
Invited Speaker, European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE) meeting, Helsinki, Finland (07/01/2016)
Ethnic Differences in Response to Controlled Ovarian Stimulation and Embryo Implantation Rates
Invited Speaker, European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE) meeting, Geneva, Switzerland (07/01/2017)