I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Caitlin W. Hicks, M.D., M.S.
Caitlin Whitney Hicks, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), Aortic Coarctation, Carotid Endarterectomy, Endovascular Aortic Surgery, Endovascular Surgery, Endovascular Therapies, Lower Extremity Revascularization, Lower Extremity Stenting, Open and Endovascular Surgical Techniques, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms, Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm ...read more
Research Interests: Clinical outcomes; aortic aneurysm; peripheral vascular disease; congenital aortic pathology; aberrant subclavian artery; aortic cortication; diabetic foot ulcer; high-value care; implementation science ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-5165
601 N. Caroline St. 8th Floor Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Hicks specializes in congenital aortic pathologies including aberrant subclavian arteries and aortic coarctation, thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms, complex lower extremity revascularization including lower extremity bypasses and stenting, and carotid endarterectomy. She is skilled in both open and endovascular surgery for the treatment of aortic and peripheral disease. She is also accomplished in clinical research with over 130 peer-reviewed publications and numerous textbook chapters; her research interests include clinical outcomes in aneurysm repair and lower extremity revascularization, as well as high-value care in vascular surgery.
A distinguished fellow of the American Board of Surgery, Dr. Hicks is the recipient of the Department of Surgery Rothman Early Career Development Award for Surgical Research and was selected as a Visiting Scholar to the American Board of Medical Specialties for 2018-2019. She is also an appointed member of a CMS Clinical Expert Subcommittee tasked with refining peripheral vascular disease cost measures for implementation in the Quality Payment Program.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2012)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Surgery (2016)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Vascular Surgery (2018)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (2018)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsCo-Investigator: BEST-CLI Trial, Site PI: CREST-2
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Hicks CW, Yang C, Ndumele CE, Folsom AR, Heiss G, Black JH III, Selvin E, Matsushita K. Associations of obesity with incident hospitalized peripheral arterial disease and critical limb ischemia in the in the Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities (ARIC) study. JAHA. In press.
Hicks CW, Canner JK, Kirkland K, Malas MB, Black JH III, Abularrage CJ. Hemodialysis patients have worse outcomes after infrageniculate revascularization procedures. J Surg Res. 2018 Jun;226:72-81
Hicks CW, Canner JK, Mathioudakis N, Sherman R, Malas MB, Black JH III, Abularrage CJ. The Society for Vascular Surgery Wound, Ischemia, and foot Infection (WIfI) classification independently predicts wound healing in diabetic foot ulcers. J Vasc Surg. 2018 Apr 2 [Epub ahead of print].
Hicks CW, Alshaikh HN, Zarkowsky DS, Bostock I, Malas MB. Intensive care unit admission after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair is primarily determined by hospital factors, adds significant cost, and is often unnecessary. J Vasc Surg. 2018 Apr;67(4):1091-1101.e4.
Hicks CW, Nejim B, Obeid T, Locham S, Malas MB. Use of a primary carotid stenting technique does not affect perioperative outcomes. J Vasc Surg. 2018 Feb 1. [Epub ahead of print].
Hicks CW, Lue J, Glebova NO, Ehlert BA, Black JH III. A 10-year institutional experience with open branched graft reconstruction of aortic aneurysms in connective tissue disorders versus degenerative disease. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Nov;66(5):1406-1416.
Activities & Honors
- Society of Vascular Surgery Travel Scholarship Award, 2014
- Second Place, ACS Maryland Chapter Resident Competition, 2013
- Surgical Intern of the Year, Johns Hopkins University, 2013
- • Ravitch Award for Excellence in Scientific Writing, Johns Hopkins University Department of Surgery, 2013
- First Place, American College of Surgeons Maryland Committee on Trauma Resident Clinical Paper Competition, 2012
- Ivan E. Shalitz Award for Excellence in Patient Care, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2012
- Academy of Medicine Education Foundation Scholarship, 2012
- Midwest Trainee Travel Award, Central Society for Clinical Research, 2008
- Thomas T. Hoopes Prize for Excellence in Thesis Writing, Harvard College, 2006
- Warren Smith Memorial Sportsmanship Award, Harvard University Women’s Golf Team, 2006
- American College of Surgeons, 2010
- Association of Women Surgeons, 2012
- Society for Vascular Surgery, 2014
- Eastern Vascular Society, 2016
- American Heart Association (AHA), 2018
Early career member
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society, 2018