I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Helen Kinsman Hughes, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Dr. Helen Kinsman Hughes is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She joined the faculty in 2018.
After earning an undergraduate degree at Haverford College, Dr. Hughes attended medical school at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and received a Master of Public Health from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She completed a residency in pediatrics and served as Chief Resident at Johns Hopkins where she stayed on to complete a research fellowship in General Academic Pediatrics.
Dr. Hughes is the co-editor of the Harriet Lane Handbook, 21st Edition, which is one of the most widely used pediatric handbooks nationally and internationally.
Her research interests include innovation in patient-centered care delivery for vulnerable populations of children including the use of telemedicine, patient-provider communication, handoff communication, and improving care for pediatric asthma.
She is actively engaged in resident and medical student education. She serves as Associate Program Director for the Pediatric Residency Training Program and is the faculty lead for the newly developed Pediatric Residency Health Equity Track. She works clinically as a teaching attending in the Harriet Lane Clinic, an urban academic pediatric primary care clinic where she supervises residents and medical students.
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2012)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2015)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2017)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Adolescent Medicine (2016)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Adolescent Medicine (2018)
Research & Publications
Contact for Research Inquiries
Rubenstein Child Health Building
200 N Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Activities & Honors
- Frank L. Coulson, Jr. Award for Clinical Excellence, Harriet Lane Pediatric Residency Program, 2015
- David M. Kamsler Award for Outstanding Compassionate and Expert Care of Pediatric Patients, Harriet Lane Pediatric Residency Program, 2015
- John M. Eisenberg Award for Innovation in Patient Safety and Quality, I-PASS Study Group, 2017
- American Academic of Pediatrics
- Academic Pediatric Association