I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Chirag R Parikh, M.B.B.S., Ph.D.
Director, Division of Nephrology
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Gujarati
Expertise: Acute Kidney Injury (AKI), Chronic Kidney Disease
Research Interests: Biomarkers; Transnational Research; Kidney Disease; Epidemiology
Dr. Parikh is a Professor of Medicine at Yale University and the Director of the Program of Applied Translational Research. He received his medical degree from Seth G.S. Medical College and KEM Hospital in Mumbai, India and subsequently completed his Nephrology fellowship and a PhD in Clinical Investigation at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
Dr. Parikh’s research focuses on the translation and validation of novel biomarkers for the diagnosis and prognosis of acute kidney injury. Progress in kidney diseases has been hamstrung by significant heterogeneity within the current disease definitions, which are largely based on serum creatinine. Dr. Parikh’s research has addressed this critical challenge by developing biomarkers of renal tubular injury, repair, and inflammation to dissect this heterogeneity. He has assembled multicenter longitudinal prospective cohorts for translational research studies across several clinical settings of acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease for the efficient translation of novel biomarkers.
His research is dedicated to the process of applying discoveries generated in the laboratory and in preclinical experiments, the development of clinical studies, and the design of clinical trials. Dr. Parikh’s studies have refined the clinical definition in perioperative acute kidney injury and hepatorenal syndrome, developed strategies to reduce kidney discard in deceased donor transplantation, and advanced regulatory approvals of kidney injury biomarkers. He has also developed biomarkers to identify rapid progressors of early diabetic kidney disease before derangements in serum creatinine. Dr. Parikh’s research goal is to translate our understanding of pathophysiological mechanisms into clinical practice and improve the outcomes in patients with kidney disease.
Dr. Parikh has also been the recipient of numerous honors, including the 2017 Young Investigator Award from the American Society of Nephrology.
- Director, Division of Nephrology
- Ronald Peterson Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Seth GS Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital (1996)
- Nassau University Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1999)
- University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine / Nephrology (2002)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1999)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Nephrology (2001)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Parikh CR, Coca SG, Devarajan P, Shlipak MG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Edelstein CL, Wang Z, Zappitelli M, Koyner JL, Krawczeski CD, Patel UD, Swaminathan M, Passik CS, Garg AX for the TRIBE-AKI consortium. Post-operative Biomarkers Predict Acute Kidney Injury and Poor Outcomes after Cardiac Surgery in Adults. J AmS oc Nephrol. 2011; 22(9):1748-57. PMCID:PMC3171945.
Coca SG, Garg AX, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Koyner JL, Patel UD, Krumholz HM, Shlipak MG, Parikh CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Urinary biomarkers of AKI and mortality 3 years after cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 25(5): 1063-71. PMCID: PMC4005309.
Puthumana J, Hall IE, Reese PP, Schroppel B, Weng FL, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Doshi MD, Rao V, Lee CG, Elias JA, Cantley LG, Parikh CR. YKL-40 Associates with Renal Recovery in Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28(2):661-670 PMCID: PMC5280016.
Zhao B, Lu Q, Cheng Y, Belcher JM, Siew ED, Leaf DE, Body SC, Fox AA, Waikar SS, Collard CD, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ikizler TA, Ware LB, Edelstein CL, Garg AX, Choi M, Schaub JA, Zhao H, Lifton RP, Parikh CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. A Genome-Wide Association Study to Identify Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Acute Kidney Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;195(4):482-490. PMCID: PMC5378420.
Belcher JM, Sanyal AJ, Peixoto AJ, Perazella MA, Lim J, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ansari N, Coca SG, Garcia-Tsao G, Parikh CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Kidney biomarkers and differential diagnosis of patients with cirrhosis and acute kidney injury. Hepatology. 2014; 60(2): 622-32. PMCID: PMC4065642.
Activities & Honors
- Young Investigator Award, ASN, AHA, 2017
- Induction, American Society for Clinical Investigation, 2018
- Jeff Gray Memorial "Translating to Management in AKI" Award, AKI and CRRT 2017 International Conference, 2017
- Dr. MD Motashaw Oration and Award for Research Accomplishment, Seth G.S. Medical College and KEM Hospital, 2013
- Most Distinguished Young Physician Award, American Association of Physicians of India, 2008
- International Society of Nephrology, 2003
- American Society of Transplantation, 2002
- Renal Physicians Association, 2002
- American Federation of Medical Research, 2001
- American Society of Nephrology, 1999
- National Kidney Foundation, 1999
- American College of Physicians, 1996